Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

constantly lower frets

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ingemar, May 8, 2005.

1. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Why aren't bassfretboards build so that the nextcomming fret are a tiny,tiny,little,little bit lower than the closest before,all the way from the headstock to the body?

Stupid question, but I have to ask
    (I'm not that good at fysics.Nor the language, You probably say)

2. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Devils Advocate:

Why would you want frets to be like that?

THINK about whats really going on with a vibrating string.....thats kind of a trick question.

3. I don't get it either. Never thought of it before. Great question.

Well it can be über close to the fretboard.
    Fretless dont have at all and that works.
    So it must be possible to have it über close the fretboard :D

4. Oh, I mean why not all frets can be REAAAALLY close to the board.

5. hmmmmm, we know why...

6. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Think about it....the string is straight......the neck has a slight curve in it.....each fret IS a little farther away fron the string.....which is he same thing as each fret being a little lower than the preceeding fret.

At least that holds true untill you get to fret 12 and things start to get closer to the axis of the string again.

The curve of the neck follows the curve of the vibrating string. Or at least..it's supposed to. If your stuff is set up properly.

7. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Thanks
    Think I've got it right now.The important thing is
    "the curve of the vibrating string" (vibrating more on the middle than int the ends)

8. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Now I've thouhgt of this issue twise (couldn't let go)
    And.. (maby stupid again)
    I understand that the neck has to have a bit relief (the string vibration curve) but the biggest string rotation is at half the lenght between the nut and the bridgesadle (I think) i.e in the position of 12t fret.But the biggest distance in relief usualy is in position of aprox. 7-8-9t fret. How come

And
    The string vibration curve will change dramaticly if you fret a tone at say 10 fret.Shouldn't it be better (less fretbuzz) if the frets where constantly lower from nut to bridge, in case of "fretted notes"

9. By the time you get that high on the neck, fretting notes makes the string rise at a sharp enough angle that it's not a problem.

10. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    But, would it be even better with lower frets?

11. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Ah - the age-old dilemma: buzz vs. note. Any good setup guy can get your action set as low as you want, but you'll have to play the thing with a feather. The buzz vs. note thing is ALWAYS a trade off.