Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

constructing a neck billet

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by godoze, Oct 27, 2002.

1. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I am building a thru neck bass. I have the body wings worked out and now i am ready to begin the neck design. Before i start though I need to find out if the neck laminates should all have the grain in the same direction or if they should chaings direction with every piece added.

I have built some custom tables and I know to prevent warping and add strength I change the direction of the grain. Just wondering if this applies to a bass neck also.

thanks.

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Try to get all the laminates quartersawn. For most woods, that should not be too hard. The amount of surface area to the area in the glue joint is low on a neck, so you really don't need to treat it like a tabletop. It's most important to get maximum strength in the direction where the neck will deflect, and so make every effort to get the laminates quartersawn.

If the laminates are slightly off-quarter, I generally arrange the laminates so the rings oppose each other.