1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Constructing an electric upright bass

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by P John Mathew, Sep 30, 2019.

1. P John Mathew

P John Mathew

Sep 30, 2019
    Hi , I am John from Bangalore , India . I am 62 ! Have been an electric bass player for some time and am owner of a furniture manufacturing set up. Mechanised. I am pretty skilled at woodworking so ; I have wanted to make an electric upright bass for a while now and recently on a trip to Spain I managed to get a tailpiece (3/4) , a bridge (3/4) and a set of Tyrolean style brass machineheads , (Though from Thomann ; Chinese made I suspect ) and strings....
    I have procured mahogany for the neck and a piece of ebony for the finger board .
    I am about to start the woodwork and desperately need some advice !!!
    If I am not interested in playing with a bow , does the fingerboard have to be radiussed?
    If it requires radiussing anyway, whats the correct radii etc. I see online a radius of 45" , does this change from nut end to bridge end?
    Whats a simple but effective way to achieve precision radiussing using a self made jig for a portable router ?
    Am attaching a preliminary drawing that I made from deductions online....
    Any and all help will be highly appreciated . If you ever come to Bangalore , India ; free stay , food and entertainments on me at my lovely farmhouse......

?

Attached Files:

2. Rounding must be done. You will also need a FB relief (scoop). The sizes are individual: I carefully measured several double basses and EUBasses and for all sizes are different. The radius of the neck and the position of the heel matter. Good advice is to find a comfortable double bass and make a copy of the neck and FB.

3. P John Mathew

P John Mathew

Sep 30, 2019

4. P John Mathew

P John Mathew

Sep 30, 2019
    Thank you. I do have a friend with an EUB , i did take a look at it....but radii are difficult to tell....Which part of the instrument is the heel???

5. P John Mathew

P John Mathew

Sep 30, 2019
  6. P John Mathew

P John Mathew

Sep 30, 2019
    Thanks for your reply ! But does this book address the issue of a double bass fb ???

7. Can't remember. I remember there are templates for bridge and neck round shape, and that the bridge shape can be different for jazz or bow basses.

Measuring an existing instrument would be a very good idea, as you can also try instantly why the shape is like it is. There's a measuring tool like this, or you can just cut models from paper until they fit. Good luck!

8. P John Mathew

P John Mathew

Sep 30, 2019

9. P John Mathew

P John Mathew

Sep 30, 2019
    Thank you so much. Have already ordered the contour gauge from Amazon India !!!! Thanks again. Now i can measure the radius !!

10. Hi John, I designed and built an EUB a few years back (not in hardwoods though) and posted a thread share the story EUB design and build and some lessons learned
    It was a challenge but a lot of fun. It is a 3/4 (41") scale bass so the dimensions I used should be right for you.
    Scroll down to Post #5 for the router jig I designed to cut the double curvature fingerboard and Post #26 for a rough diagram with some dimensions.
    Good luck with your project and look forward to seeing photos when you can post some.

11. P John Mathew

P John Mathew

Sep 30, 2019

12. P John Mathew

P John Mathew

Sep 30, 2019
    Wow !!! your kind reply is a sign from heaven !!! thank you and shal study your progress with deep focus....Will keep you posted of my progress.....

13. P John Mathew

P John Mathew

Sep 30, 2019

Is the 41'' the string intonation length , between nut and bridge?

14. P John Mathew

P John Mathew

Sep 30, 2019
    Have been through you post carefully. I am indeed convinced that you fingerboard radiussing jig will be perfect for me. i wonder if you would be willing to share the build of your jig with me so that i can duplicate it exactly ? Did you radius a fb that was the finished length or was the fb blank longer than required ? My eub will be different from yours as I have purchased most of the stuff from Spain while travelling there. I have a tailpiece thats about 305mm long , a wooden bridge thats 177mm high and tyrolean style brass machineheads that are paired on a brass plate. I have a chunk of mahogany for the neck and scroll (given to me by my wood supplier , I run a furniture manufacturing company ) and a piece of ebony 48"x4"x1" thk. for the fingerboard that I bought for less than 100Aus $ . The electronics will be designed and made for me by a sonic design electronics whiz colleague at the Design school where I teach too. I have a well equipped furniture manufacturing plant with access to all kinds of tools including a cnc router....I wonder if a radiussing drawing could be made for it to execute ?
    I have been an electric bass player for many years now , though never pro.....
    I would love to pick your brains from time to time in my progress on this project , if you would be willing.....
    Thanks Jay !!

15. Yes

16. Happy to have my brain picked, for what it's worth!!
    And if you need more detailed dimensions or photos just let me know.

17. P John Mathew

P John Mathew

Sep 30, 2019

18. P John Mathew

P John Mathew

Sep 30, 2019
    Since i wish to build your jig for fb radiussing , I would truly appreciate all details/photos to help me build this ! Grateful , beyond words !

19. No worries, probably the best way to do this is a video which I can put on YouTube. I will have to find all the bits and put them back together to show you how it worked. Give me a few days...