Constructing My Own Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by choo5, Jun 30, 2004.

1. choo5

Apr 15, 2004
    sydney, australia
    im building my own bass guitar, i always thought it'd be cool to build one so im begining to buy the materials and i will be getting the wood in a few days, only thing im not sure of yet is if im going to make my own neck or buy a pre-made neck and modify the headstock....

anyone here ever made a neck? i just thought fretting it would be a pain in the ass....

i dont have any design software on my pc atm cos i just formatted so bare with me: heres a concept image i made in ms paint (left handed)
  2. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    You should move this to Luthier's Corner.
  3. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Whoa! That looks like it could kill someone!! :eek:
    Have you had any prior woodworking experience? You might wanna think about how it's gonna balance. The little wings near the headstock look pretty problematic as well...
    But I think it's a great idea that you want to build your own bass. I wish I had the kinda resources you guys have over there - I'd build one in a heartbeat :D

Good luck on it!!
  4. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Quite a flawed design there young padawan. I think you're going for looks over performance :-\.. You should do a little more research. I too am building a bass, and it's good to take your time and really research these things.
  5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Kinda looks like one of the bugs from Starship Troopers!! :D
  6. A simpler design might be better if it's your first one, and as you start building more, make a more complicated design. Also, if you start off with a simple one, it will give you an idea of how everything balances out and you can then make a better, more complicated design down the road if you build more.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I think that you have a future designing guitars for BC Rich and ESP. Or maybe a past. Like the 80's.;):D
  8. choo5

Apr 15, 2004
    sydney, australia
    i was designing and finished... then i looked online and found my design was almost an exacty copy of the washburn dimebag darrel pro series.....

i'm going to re-design it a few times yet but im looking for a B.C rich style but a bit more unique