1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Constructing Walking Jazz Bass Lines, Book 1: Walking Bass Lines- The Blues in 12 Key

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by JHandley, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Has anyone used/ studied this book?
    It seems like a pretty complete method for me to study a jazz approach.
    Jeff

2. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
  3. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    I just ordered the Ed Friedlund book, so I don't have any reactions/input just yet, but I'm really looking forward to its arrival. The ability to put put a good walking bass line together has been the biggest hole in my playing forever.

4. For me it's not quite a hole in my playing, but it's definitely something I've wanted to get much further into. I've had both the Building and Expanding Walking Bass Lines books for a while now... Just need to work my way through them. :meh:

5sg.

5. Ed Friedland has a talent for putting words together. I highly recommend anything written by Ed.

6. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Ditto.
    Ed's books are great and if you make a serious effort to work through them you will benefit greatly.

7. clodhopper

clodhopper Guest

Jun 6, 2011
    The thread title does not refer to the book by Ed Friedland but rather to this:

Constructing Walking Jazz Bass Lines, Book 1 by Steven Mooney.

This book is specifically on Walking Bass Lines for 12 bar blues in all 12 keys. It is part of a series that includes books on Rhythm changes in all 12 keys and Standard Jazz Lines (whatever they are)

Thre Friedland book (actually he has done 2 on walking bass) are less specific, though look very good.

I have ordered Constructing Walking Jazz Bass Lines, Book 1 and will post a quick review here when I get it.

8. Guess that shows you just how much time I've spent with the (other) books I have, huh? Sorry for the confusion! :meh:

This thread made me realize that I do need to work through them though, I took them to kinkos to get them spiral bound! It's a step, I guess... :p lol

May have to check out the Mooney book.

5sg.

9. thank you for the direction guys,
    as clodhopper stated, that is one I was interested in.
    I have also added Mr Friedlands books to the list of texts I may
    yet purchase.
    As well as the Jay Hungerford one.
    Happy New Year!
    Jeff

10. clodhopper

clodhopper Guest

Jun 6, 2011
    OK, so I've had this book for a couple of weeks and dipped into it a couple of times.
    It consists of a theory section and a transcription section with blues lines in 12 keys.
    The theory section is well structured and introduces new concepts with a brief description/theory section and then a couple of choruses of F Blues using the new concept. This covers most of what you need although didn't cover scalar approaches. Apart from this omission it covers ground that I have seen in other books on walking bass. A couple of bonuses are sections on pedal tones and repeated notes which are not often discussed. It may have been useful to discuss various varieties of blues chord progressions and substitutions, although a section on tritone substitutes and turnarounds will give insights into this. Generally good intro to walking bass on the blues. Not a method as no exercises as such but the transcriptions provide lots of practice.
    The transcription section contains 4 or 5 pages in each key. Each transcription is different although following the same progression of ideas similar to the progression of subjects covered in the first section of the book. One issue is that towards the end of each transcription the changes are Parker Blues changes (as in Blues for Alice). This is useful but is not covered in the first section of the book and may come as a surprise to some. I have found the transcriptions very useful for developing sight reading in unfamiliar keys as walking basslines are rhymically very simple allowing concentration on the notes.
    Generally a useful book. If you have read other books on walking bass you won't find any great revelations, but it covers what it sets out to do adequately. For me the transcriptions are the most useful part. I'm hoping to use them to break out of the same tired old licks I always play on blues, and also, as mentioned before, they are good for sight reading.
    I'm thinking of getting the 2nd book which deals with Rhythm Changes as I find I'm really limited in the lines I play and would like to get a bit more flexible with this progression.

11. Ive had my copy of the originally posted text for a couple of weeks now, having been studying it sparsely until the last week.
    I find it very helpful to my site reading and getting the feel of what it takes to construct walking bass lines.
    In all I think i've chosen a book that will take me a long way in understanding how to FEEL and HEAR walking bass patterns.
    I like that it does NOT contain tab, as I have to force myself to read the music and figure out the timing of the notes.
    I use the online monkey machine app and that helps me greatly.
    Im very excited to learn everything in this book.
    I believe I have chosen well.
    Jeff

12. MosGuy

MosGuy Keep it low and thumping..

Dec 26, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Thought it was worth reviving this thread. It's a shame these books are under the radar and not as well known (vs the two Eds). I purchased Friedlands books the year they were published and consider them classics for an introduction to walking.

I like the fact the teaching approach is different. Ed uses examples/chord charts, while Steven gives examples and fully written lines. Making it easier to analysis and understand the concepts. As well as practising through all 12 keys. I typically use both approaches; after going through the written lines. I'll read through the chords or grab staff paper and write out my own.

Something that wasn't mentioned in the thread. There are two different editions: standard and TAB. Useful for those who can't or don't want to learn to read music.

Fearceol mentioned lack of a CD. MP3 packs are available for free download. The backing tracks have two tempos (slower and faster) in all 12 keys. Running roughly 5-8 minutes long.

Clodhopper stated scalar approaches weren't in book 1. If memory serves, its covered in book 3. Instead of cramming into a single book, things are spread out and build on each other. Typically if a concept seems missing, it's in a later book.

While I do love Ed's books. Steven goes deeper and covers other aspects. I've found constructing walking jazz bass lines to be a natural progression and an excellent fit after BWBL. Though they can be used as a standalone series.

Anyone interested in jazz; I recommend checking out the series. I'd suggest going to Amazon and using the preview to get a feel for them.