Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Construction and Versitility between Cirrus and Lakland.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cassanova, Dec 1, 2004.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I'm looking to upgrade within the next 2-3 months. I have my mind somewhat made up on the bass. I am considering, a Peavey Cirrus six string. (Redwood) body and the Lakland 55-94.

I have played both. (However I have a considerable amount more time in on the Cirrus.) They both sound quite good and have two distint tones, both of which I enjoy. The action on both is a moot point, because I find them both to be very user friendly.

I tend to play a variety of music ranging from: Country, Pop, Disco/Dance, Funk, Top-40, Rock and all its derivations, Gospal, Contemporary Christian, as well as Reggae.

I've only used the Cirrus on one gig and it was for a church gig and it preformed more than adiquatly. But I don't know how well it will handle doing the other types of gigs. I've never had the opportunity to use a Lakland on any gig.

I'd like to know which bass is the more versitile of the two. I'd also like to know which bass is better constructed and will endure the long haul.

2. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I've owned a Cirrus 5 and am in the process of getting a Cirrus 5 or 6 now to replace it (long story, but the short version is it was the stupidest thing I ever did to sell it). I currently have a Tiger Eye 6 out on eval (Cirrus6). I've never touched a Lakland but very well know their rep, talked to many owners, have heard many solo and mix clips, and currently GAS for a 55-94 (or at least a 55-02). *sigh*

IMHO...

Both are incredibly versatile, except you're comparing a 6 to a 5, so I'd say the main diff is that one will have more "range", while the other may be easier to slap due to spacing.

I played the Cirrus 5 for two years as my primary bass in a cover band doing everything from 80's pop/rock (Pat Benetar, Heart, AC/DC, metal...), to "today" including stuff like Green Day, and even a couple country songs like Redneck Woman and Don't Know My Name, etc.. The Cirrus had no trouble at all cutting through and sounding great on all of the above. Never felt like it was impossible or even difficult to get the tone I wanted for each song (from the fat P-ish tone for heavier stuff to the thin punch bridge tone for stuff like You Oughta' Know).

Further, I'd be shocked if anyone said otherwise about the Lakland, as well.

Bottom line is, sux to be you, 'cause I'm sure you'd totally love either one, but you have to pick. :)

3. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    two side notes...

While it won't matter for the actual use of the bass, the 55-94 will likely have a higher resale value if it had to come to that. GAS is evil and calls when you least expect it. :)

Also, looked at yer profile, and you list an Eden 410XLT on yer GAS list. IMHO, good call on the vendor/product family, but go for a pair of the 210XLT's instead. MUCH easier on yer back, fatter tone, and a little more versatile in setup options (albeit a bit more expensive). I have a pair of these and have never needed more... even at the outdoor state fair gigs.

4. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I had a Cirrus 6 redwood that I sold to TBer "Learning To Walk". The only reason I sold it was because I bought a Cirrus 5. I just could never utilize six strings so it was kind of a waste. Beautiful sounding and looking bass. Very versatile tone wise and an excellent deal for the money. I play in a church orchestra, and a classic rock band, and occasionally dabble with a metal band, and it was at home in any place. I don't have any experience with the Lakland, though I would love to try one. Sounds like a winner either way.

5. WOH! That is one SEXY Cirrus 6! I really love the six-string Cirrus basses and that one is gorgeous. I love contrast of the maple board on the Tiger Eye body.

6. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I made the transition from a Cirrus 5 to a Lakland 55-01. I'd have to say I prefer the Lakie. I have a great low action, high tension setup similar to that of the cirrus, but the Lakie felt a little more at home to me. I dig the sort of trad-fender vibe out of it. Also, I was totally freaked about my cirrus (babied it too much) getting dinged or anything, and I never wanted to take it out of the case. I also had a couple peeves about it, like some wierd overtones, etc. I'd have to say that the Lakie is the first bass that I haven't found anything I hate. So I sold all my other basses, and kept the Lakland. The Cirrus has sort of a more Hi-Fi vibe. Also, the Lakland is SO COMFY. I love the neck... God.

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The Cirrus is a great bass, but it definitely has a neck through tone. The Lakland's bolt-on tone is more to my liking. Although it seems that money is not an issue to you, a great alternative to a 55-94 is the USA Peavey Millennium Five. This are discontinued but are still available. I just picked up a new one this evening. It doesn't have a coil splitting switch like the Lakland, but other than that, it has a very similar vibe and a comparable build quality for $700-900 new, about a fourth the price of a 55-94 and even cheaper than a Skyline.

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Would you please go into a little more detail about the wierd overtones you are mentioning?

I've actually been giving consideration to a 2x10, 1x15 set up over a 4x10.

How does the two 2x10's give a slightly fatter tone?

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    bump

10. Sigma B

Sigma B

Mar 31, 2004
    I owned a Tiger Eye 5 string for a couple of years. It's very very versatile, but I would venture to say that the lakeland 55-94 would be just as versatile if not more. If it were me - I'd buy the Lakland, but just want something different.

11. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    The Cirrus is a really cool bass. But it has only one cool sound, that awesome Cirrus sound.

However, the Lakland 55-94 can make its own distinct sound, and with proper equalization, gain control, and especially pickup paning, can nail a Stingray or a Jazz, and get pretty close to a P.

Though both are great basses in their own right, the 55-94 is without a doubt the more versatile.

12. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Oh, you have no idea. :)

It gets better... read on...

Yeah, completely rox, and it's an unusual custom you can't even get on the Peavey custom shop web site... you'd have to call this one in. Start with a Tiger-eye (custom shop shows no option for the veneer on the headstock), and then add a finished back of the neck (really brings the figuring out, not available as an option on the web site) and a mahogany body (normally alder on this model).

This gets off thread, so anyone interested, please PM or email (best) me at vserbe@springnet1.com. This bass is part of a special deal from my local Peavey dealer, a good friend for many years.

The thing is, as much as I LOVE this thing (both to look at AND to play/hear), I've just decided (for the second time) I can't really do the six string thing, and am willing to pass the deal on to my friends here at TB. I'm going for a 5 instead. Therefore, it's actually available for sale, specially priced, brand new, full warranty, from an auth'd Peavey dealer (but for a limited time)!

This is a one time thing. If you're seriously interested, contact me soon, or it goes back to the Peavey rep and all bets are off. High end basses like these don't move very fast in this area, so he does NOT want to stock this bass and put it on the wall (which would be a crazy terrible waste anyway), which is part of the reason I'm gettin' the deal I'm gettin'. Even though it's very likely a one of a kind special, because of the way this all played out, it will go for less than MAP (if you can believe that), so I can't quote the price here.

One more note. Disclaimer. I do not work for him, nor will I make a penny if it sells. He's offered me a kind favor, and I'm simply passing it on here to help this bass avoid getting stuck in a shop here in the midwest. It's really as simple as that. No funny stuff here. Period. I have well respected high end bass vendor references to prove it, as well, if anyone needs that.

Bottom line is, this is really a great opportunity for anyone looking for a great Peavey Cirrus 6. Lemme know as needed. I'm not sure if I'll post this in forsale just yet. Depends on if the rep has any problem with a "return" (don't expect him to, but just in case). It's only been "out" a week or so.

13. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Because the actual amount of cabinet space is increased per speaker with a pair of 2x10's vs a single 4x10. Gets into cabinet tuning and design I don't understand, but there you go... especially with the XLT's which have TWO ports EACH vs one each for the T or one for each pair in the 4x10. Also, IMHO, it's easier to get a cabinet with fewer radiators to sound coherent and tight. Smaller, more specifically tuned air space, only two potentials for speaker mismatches instead of 4 to lose coherency, etc. (we're really nitpicking here, but I'm super picky about my tone... just wish my playing justified it *grin*).

Bottom line, fewer variables = tighter cleaner tone.

The side benefit is, MUCH easier on your back!!!!

(or much kinder to your roadies, if you're at that success level)

Now you bring up the 15's. I'm not a fan of 15's for bass rigs any more at all. I just don't believe they couple well on the size stages most of us play on. I don't believe they can get any lower than a well tuned premium 2x10... at least in truly useable freqs (not the super muddy lows that just add a bunch of standing waves to the room IMHO), anyway. If I were in Van Halen on a huge stage, maybe, but for the clubs and state fairs and such, not for me. I really believe anything bigger than a 12 needs to be in the PA in the vast majority of cases. Anything bigger, and you end up turning up too loud to hear yourself, meanwhile you project out past the PA and tick off the sound guy 'cause you're screwing up his mix and ruining the sound of the band from the audience's perspective.

Again, tho, IMHO!!! :)

14. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Wow, IMHO, I really could not disagree more. I've had fantastic luck getting both modern as well as "classic" tones out of my Cirrus. I haven't A/B'd with a Lakland, and I definitely would not contest the Lakland's versatility, but I totally and absolutely disagree with this critique of the Cirrus.

...IMHO of course...

15. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    What about the construction of each? In terms of quality, is one built slightly better than the other?

16. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    I love the Cirrus, and it's very well made, but I would bet the Laklands have the edge there... more attention paid to detail. For example, the fretwork... the leveling is perfect on the Cirrus, but I don't think they typically crown them afterwards, which does help a little. From what I've heard the Laklands are exemplary in their final setups and detailing.

17. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    I own a Cirrus 5 and a Lakland 55-02. The Lakland gets more playing time. I do like the Cirrus for recording projects.

18. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Wow, opinons vary I guess! I feel like the Cirrus has a much more comfortable body style than the 55-01. I like the neck better on the cirrus too.

I can't compare a Cirrus to an American Lakland but I'm almost certain the attention to detail would be better on a Lakland. My 55-01 has no flaws whatsoever in that department but on my Cirrus the 12th fret inlay is not perfect.

Both are sure to be great basses!

19. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Depends...if you want the hi-fi vibe or the Fender/EB Stingray Vibe. I've owned both...in fact I've owned several of both. I've owned 3 Cirri (Two 5 strings and One 6 String). I loved them, they were great, but ultimately the 17mm string spacing wasn't for me. The Lakland is super comfortable to play and it just feels/sounds more right to me in more applications. I currently own two 55-02 (The less expensive cousin of the proposed 55-94). Don't get me wrong, I may end up buying a Cirrus again, when they start offering 19mm spacing in the custom shop. However, until then...Dan and Crew have my vote. Quality product at a great price (especially used). Sounds and looks just like a 55-94. Dan's great about customer service as well.

My 2 cents.

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Mama C, in terms of tone, I prefer the Cirrus to the Bart equipped 55-94. I once had the pleasure of playing one with the optional Duncan Basslines setup, and it was killer!

In terms of fit & finish, while the Cirrus is very good, IMHO the USA Laklands are a little better.

Bottom line? For me, it would come down to tone. I don't like the way the stock Bartolini single coil/MM setup sounds. Too 'polite' for me. So I would choose a Cirrus. If the Lakland had the Basslines setup, I would probably choose it over the Cirrus.

Play them both, and pick the one you like the sound and feel of the best.

You can't go wrong with either one, IMHO.