Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Construction of OLP MusicMans

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Airsick Pilot, Mar 30, 2003.

1. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Hey guys. I'm spending about $650-$700 on a new bass in a few days and I have a pretty good idea what I want to get but I'm doing last minute research on other basses.

I'm thinking of getting an OLP Musicman 5 and changing the pickup to probably a SD bassline. My question is, whats the construction and durability of an OLP like? Will it be a good a bass that will last for quite some time(construction-wise). And whats your opinion on an OLP with that particular pickup change.

Thanks in advance.

2. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    One thing to bear in mind with the OLP MM 5-strings is that the pickup used is a different shape to a proper MM 5-string pickup - the one used in the OLP is pretty much like a MM 4-string pickup with two extra polepieces, with the two extended screw holes at the top and one at the bottom. A proper 5-string MM pickup has the screwholes in the pickup body itself. So you'll probably still be able to fit the new pickup, but it'll probably require some routing and a new pickguard.

Russ :bassist:

3. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    WHY?

why buy an olp and change the pickups when for the money you want to spend you could get a killer bass? search some guitar centers, you might find a stingray for that price and you wouldnt need to replace anything. if you want to spend that much money on a bass, then make it an investment. if you buy the olp and gut it, it will be worth about 50 bucks on a good day.

4. I don't know much about the OLP stuff except that my dad bought a OLP Wolfgang copy for $200 last week. I thought they were kinda cheaper like a Squire line. I have found used real MM's for around $5-750 and the 5ers for about $800. Keep looking. Watch ebay they alway have them on there.

5. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Thanks for the advice guys.

6. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    I've played 3 of them and the construction was horrible. Mis-matched woods, horrible fretwork, etc....make sure you try the one you're gonna buy

7. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
  8. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i will attempt to give you the long short of it so please bere with me,i own a OLP MM 4 string copy bass and heres the scoop, before i went ahead and bought one i went to a few different music stores and played MANY of them so i knew what i was in for because i found them much cheaper on e-bay and wanted to play them first before i commited to getting one,i noticed a slight buzz between the nut and tuner in almost all of them,i figured it was just a t-rod adjustment and went ahead and got one anyway,well come to find out it is a design flaw and not the neck relief,i had to grind down the string ferrel(guide)to make the contact angle at a different height,after doing this the bass is now a great player for the price,it is worth every penny of its 249.00 tag,(mine was 175.00 new)it is a little different than an actual MM but for 700.00 less its definately compairable, look on e-bay you can get them new or as close to as possible for 1/3 less than a dealer or retail store(guitar ctr,musicians friend or wherever)
    i hope this helped

9. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    That helped alot, thanks!

10. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    while i've never played an OLP bass, the OLP mm4 guitar i have plays nicer than every squier, and most MIM fenders i've played. nice frets, great tone, nice neck, decent woods, great finish. the only things i'm going to change on mine are possibly going to a wilkinson tremolo and locking tuners, and adding a coil tap to the humbucker.