constructive criticism of my flyer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by brian v2.0, Apr 17, 2004.

1. i've begun to make flyers for my band, anyone have any feedback on whats been effective for you or what i've done that soesn't work well?
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Add your website, if you have one, club phone number for directions & age restrictions.
  3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Make your band name bigger. The band name should always be the biggest thing on a flyer, so even if nobody reads it, the name at least hits the synapses for a bit.
  4. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i agree with basstri,

i like your use of positive/negative space.

but the text has no flow to it.

one thing a marketing graphics guy told me about flyers, is that you should lead the eye around your layout.

turn your name into a bigger graphic with some design element that lead the reader's eyes around through all the information being relayed.

just a thought.

5. Also the cost to get in / donations at the door / free show could be included.
  6. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Right. Another thing is to always sketch it out first so that you can plan how and where you want the reader's eye to get there. Remember that people are lazy, though. Don't make em work too hard or it'll fly right past em.
  7. Moongarm

Apr 10, 2004
    Just some random thoughts.

-Shrink the fontsize on the date/venue information by about 6 to 8 points to create more room.
    -Use white on black for the date/venue to create more contrast which will compensate for the smaller font.
    -Increase your bands name by a couple font sizes.
    -Try offsetting your band's logo and name to the left into more of the free space. Your band's logo is starting a center aligned trend with your eyes then it's getting broken up by the date/venue and back to the center aligned theme. I know two of the bands aren't aligned center but the flow to the eye is still centered.
    -Add price and age restriction information at the bottom.
    -Consider using a slightly less busy font for the information at the bottom. Using the same font as your band name would be my suggestion.

Depending on how Photoshop(or whatever program you use) savy you are most of these changes can be done relatively quickly. Experiment and see what you like.