1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Constructive criticism?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Geezer Brown, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Einherjar

Einherjar

Dec 1, 2012
    Lakewood, CO
    There's bass in that recording? Someone needs to beat the **** out of your vocalist. I like extreme metal, but... The recording sounds "good" but it comes off as a really sad amateur Carcass ripoff. Get a better vocalist, or bury the guy you have more in the mix. Add diverse backing vocals. Give some guttural demonic growls to offset the screeching.

2. Problem is, I'm the only one in the band who doesn't like the vocalist. Everyone else LOVES him

3. Btw one of the tracks is REALLY f*cked up, dont remember which one tho. And its gonna take more than that to make me cry

4. VeganThump

VeganThump

Jun 29, 2012
    South Jersey
    I kinda liked vocals, they are reminiscent of At the Gates. I think the issue that needs to be discussed how horrible your drummer is. He was behind the beat, then in front of it, then behind it again. He double bass work definitely leaves something to be desired, very sloppy, which in turn makes you guys sound sloppy. Overall though it wasn't that bad, bring down the vox and find a way to have the bass cut through a little bit better.

5. Got it. We are not going back to that studio, as we now have a home studio where we will be recording all of our stuff. I have since upgraded my bass rig to include an SVT stack and some EMG 35DC's that cut through the mix like butter. At the time of the recording, I was using a solid state ampeg and a really muddy ibanez 5'er. As for the drummer, first time using triggers, having a bad day, limited studio time yada yada yada i wont make any more excuses

6. Einherjar

Einherjar

Dec 1, 2012
    Lakewood, CO
    EQing the bass track after you record it can help a lot because you can tweak it until it sits well.

7. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I listened to the video, player didnt work on my computer (this computer has some Flash disabling stuff on it). Sounds fine to me, overall tone and general performance is solid for a demo/first effort. Just keep writing and recording and each effort should get a little better. The singer sounds a little out of breath sometimes. :p Genre... kind of typical for this day, but those recordings could serve the purpose of helping you book shows etc.

My philosophy is to put the vast majority of the effort on the front end. Get as good of a tone for the mix as possible on your own time rather than studio time, or before you track at least. The less you have to molest it (or anything else) in the mix, the better. I always like a little OD (couldnt tell if you were using any).

8. Einherjar

Einherjar

Dec 1, 2012
    Lakewood, CO
    Yeah, he said they're recording from home now though, so it shouldn't be an issue of paying for studio time.

9. totally agree. No amount of EQ'ing can make a bad tone good. On the day of recording, the jack on my 87 Charvel broke, so i was forced to use the ibby. Also was forced to use those POS ampeg neomidium cabs instead of my beloved musicman's

10. vocals are way too forward of the mix
    bass is nowhere to be found in the mix

Did Rob Rock produce this?