Constructive Critiques?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by zephir2004, Mar 8, 2004.

1. zephir2004

Mar 8, 2004

I’m new member. I noticed this site and it seemed like it would be a cool place to get productive thoughts from others. My band is creating its first 12 song CD. The project has been relatively low budget and the recordings were all done through our home computer. Thank god for home recording. We are trying to work with what we have and keep our budget down so we don’t fall horribly in to debt. The concept is to write some cool bass heavy moving stuff and still keep a songwriting perspective on things. We were hoping to make some music that both technical musicians might find appealing as well non-musician people who just want to hear a cool song. Also it would enable us to keep the songs contained for the CD and then jam them out more live. We have made the fist 5 songs available through our web site for free. The song styles vary a bit from song to song. I was just hoping some people might share some of their thoughts on if they feel we are headed in the right direction.

The website is

2. Ben Jammin'

Ben Jammin' Guest

Jul 13, 2003
    Falmouth, Cornwall, UK
    With respect to "if u believe"

Love the bassline, good vocals (could be a little more aggressive) and maybe slightly lay off the guitar effects (only my opinion cos im not a big fan of em) but seriously that's pretty sweet.
  3. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    You've got some skills, my friend.

Here's some thoughts:
    Scrap - It would sound cool if the drums followed your muted slapping parts more.

Thinking of you - This one sounds great, and my only suggestion would be to lay of the mids and boost the bass on the track a bit, but that's IMO.

Thats all I have time for right now... I'll listen to the other songs later on today.
  4. zephir2004

Mar 8, 2004
    Thanks, you guys. I hear you about the mid and the effects. The problem with the mids has been bothering the heck out of me. It's seems everything I record has a bit too much midrange tonality to it. I assumed that it was due to the nature of home recording and my computer. Maybe even my sound card. It seems that after I record something, the sound I recorded and play back has more midrange than what I recorded when I mic-ed the instrument.

One thing that I have been trying to do to balance out the frequencies has been to import the final mix back into my software and then try to EQ the mids out of the overal mix a bit. Also, I've found adding a bit of reverb helped beef it up a slight bit. If anyone has any knowledge or advice on how to beef things up a bit or get a more balanced spread of frequencies, man that would be a great help.

5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Welcome to TB! This belongs in recordings, I'll go ahead and move it there.
  6. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    OK, I think you deserve my honest oppinion. I think you got "IT" and I think you should do something on your own also.

Vocals: Not strong enough voice, no attitude but has an interesting vibe, perhaps a good frontman(!?)
    Guitar: Outstanding, IMO the key player in the band, because of your chops he lays back in the right places but does his thing when it's appropriate.
    Drums: Groovy player but like the singer a bit too weak for me, has great feel though and is very rythmic, I bet you 2 can lay down the groove over the phone just talking to each other (I don't know why I said that:meh: )
    Bass: Oh yeah as I said before you got it........but I would like to hear you lay back a bit also, I feel like it's watching the worlds strongest man only on bass. But that's just the overall musical point of view. You inspire me as a bassist a lot and that's why I think you should do your own thing with what you got.

Take care:)
  7. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Oh yeah and your vocalist is very handsome;)
  8. zephir2004

Mar 8, 2004
    Man this site is great. So many other sites just either say great stuff or just rip stuff apart with giving anything constructive to offer.

I hear you with the laying back. Actually I've been thinking about creating a few tunes where the bass is not so in the listeners face all the time. Most my earlier stuff is real bass heavy becasue I was so just bass gung ho in the begining. Also, I was not really playing with other musicains, just mostly writing a little on my bass in the begining.

Also, I was thinking of doing something on my own but for me right now, I like the sharing part of the music. Maybe in the future. Even though the stuff is bass centric, like sharing the experience with others. It's like a celebration of life through music kinda thing. (maybe that sounds corny but I don't know)
  9. ChildoftheKorn

May 21, 2003
    dude you rock, thats some great grooving. i dont really like the singer but when that CD come sout im defintly ordering one
  10. LouisB

LouisB Guest

Aug 23, 2003
    Guernsey, UK
    I agree about the singer, he better be a good front man, his voice just lacks something in the recording. Saying that i've heard a lot of recordings where singers sound nothing like they do live. Your bass work is great, and i really enjoyed listening to the recordings as a whole. Keep it up, and I'll be looking out for new stuff. :bassist:
  11. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    chopity-chop! sometimes a bit too much.

I'm almost sorry to say it, but vocals and drums are definitely the weakest link in the chain.

It's somehow strange that the bass-playing is so technical and the others aren't.
  12. zephir2004

Mar 8, 2004
    Hmm wow, I hope I'm not doing my singer and drummer an injustice by deciding on taking the home recording route. The truth of the matter is that I have not been able to replicate the singer’s tonality that well while recording into my computer. It’s been frustrating me a lot. Also in order to record the drums we had to use a Rolland kit with the DT7 brain. He really was not into the drums sounds that much either. I’m wondering if anyone has suggestions as to how I could improve in these areas. I run the vocals through a P.A. to boost the signal. That seems to help a little but I’m learning as I go here. I would hate to do anyone an injustice due my lack of knowledge. The bass and the guitar were much easier to record but again I still feel that I'm not accurately reproducing their true sounds either. I'm just doing it better than the vocals and drums. Any help would be appreciated

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I hear you regarding the tonality, but I don't think that's what people are talking about. You and the guitar player seem to be of a higher caliber than the singer and the drummer, in technical ability and musical choices. Great tunes overall. Maybe the drummer would be more inspired with real drums? The singer sounds like he's trying too hard to stay in pitch, consequently loosing some emotive power. Anyway, overall it's very good.
  14. j_piddy

Sep 23, 2003
    Wow, 3 Steve's in the
  15. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I think you should get Pro Tools digi002, then you can Normalize the singing (therefore the singer can just sing, sing and sing) get bunch of plug-ins(computer effects) and you're in good position to make very good recording and nobody will be left out.

Ok, you're thinking: But that's just so goddamn expensive!! It's worth it man, it pays of in a couple of gigs if you all chip in for it.