Consumer Saftey Alert

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Eric Cameron, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Well, not REALLY. This is being put out be me, not the Consumer Saftey Commision.

For those of you who live in the Portland/Metro area, DON'T go to Portland Music.

These guys have a real problem with punctuality and service. Back on January 8 I ordered a new Seymore Duncan pickup from them. They told me it would take 3 weeks to arrive. IT STILL ISN'T HERE. I went down on Friday to complain, and the sales people acted like it was MY problem, not theirs.

I do have proof that they said it would be three weeks: The receipt. It says to come in on Feb 1 to get the pup. Well, it's now March 11, and they keep saying "It'll get here." I'm fed up, and warning all of you what kind of business practice Portland Music has.

Rock on
  2. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Understand that when a retail business (music store) orders a part from a vendor(Seymour-Duncan) they (music store) have very little control over when the part actually arrives.

No need for the sales dudes to be jerky though. :(
  3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    It's always like that where I am. My drummer looked for a new and better drum stool, and saw one in a catalogue from Sweden's biggest music store chain. He went to the local shop and asked if they had any of them in stock. Of course they didn't, but they should get him one within the week.

I don't know how many times he called them and got the "within the week" or "next week" response. One month later without any drum stool, he gave up and stuck with his old one.

Although unlike Portland Music, and various other stores around the world, they were polite about the whole deal and everyone had that "we'll take care of it, no problem!" attitude. At least that's something, eh?
  4. Fostex is bad for that too. I have waited over a year for a 5 K pan-pot for a Fostex X-24. They claimed supply problems. :mad:

I went to Vancouver and got the genuine part for $3 from an electronics wholesaler. :)

My local music store since dumped the entire Fostex line for the way they treat their warranty customers.
  5. See, that's the weird part. It's not an unusual pup, just a Vintage J. And at this point I AM blaming Portland Music, because what they told me was that they were getting a new shipment on the First of Feb, and that they would get it in the new shipment.

Maybe it is SD, but my gut feeling is that it's PM.

Rock on
  6. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Seymour Duncan is a small company, even though their reputation is large. Also, you ordered a popular bass pickup. Guitar pickups are way more popular. So, if Seymour Duncan doesn't have the pickup(s) that you ordered, at, or near completion, you have to wait for that model to re-enter the SD production schedule, and that could take quite a while.

Years ago, I ordered a custom Jackson guitar with Seymour Duncan pickups. The completed guitar (minus pickups) sat at the Jackson factory for 3 months just waiting for the pickups!

OTOH, you are the one dealing with Portland Music face-to-face, so you have to use your best judgement and intuition to evaluate their customer service.

"Moral" to the story...
    ...If you have to special order Seymour Duncan pickups, be prepared to wait ;) ...
  7. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    When I dropped almost $1000 on my Sonic 6x10, I was told that it would be in my home within 7 to 10 working days. It took well over a month, several visits to the store I purchased it from and a handful of phone calls to Sonic. I found out that when it actually did arrive at the supermarket I bought it from, it was placed in a back stockroom where it sat for an additional day or two before anyone even realized it had come in!

If you're not happy with Portland Music's service, do what I do when I am not happy with someone's service -- boycott 'em (and buy your pickup somewhere else).