Contact lenses = sensitive eyes

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nate Dawg, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Those of you that wear contact lenses: Are you really sensitive to sunlight when you're wearing them? I walked outside today and was almost blinded from the sun and the reflection off the snow. I had to walk across campus from class to my truck with only one eye partially open so that I could actually see.

I usually don't have that problem when I wear my glasses, but the contacts seem to get me every time. Luckily I have some awesome mirrored "Top Gun" sunglasses. :cool:
  2. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    hmmm....I've worn contacts for 15 years and never noticed that, but that doesn't mean it isn't true. One thing I've always liked about contacts is that I can wear cheaper sunglasses (as opposed to the expensive prescription kind).
    If the snow blindness is a problem you could move down here! Of course our weather folks today are calling for sleet/snow mix tonight...
  3. babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    My eyes are fine when I wear my contacts, but they are very sensitive to light when I wear my glasses.
  4. My eyes are always really sensitive to light, but more so when I'm wearing contacts, so I pretty much always carry a pair of sunglasses with me unless it's nighttime or very cloudy. It's even worse when I haven't gotten enough sleep and my eyes are rebelling against the concept of wearing contacts in the first place. My eyes don't like me. :(
  5. My eyes have always been really sensitive to light, but my contacts lenses haven't made a difference to that, good or bad.

Being hungover usually leaves me more sensitive to light than usual...... maybe it was that for you?:rolleyes: ;)
  6. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Yeah, I'm really sensitive to sunlight, but I always wear my contacts. I heard that blue-eyed people are more sensitive to sunlight than brown-eyed people.

I have blue eyes,too. As you can tell from my avatar.:D

Chris A.:rolleyes:
  7. Spam2mapS

Jun 26, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I wear contacts and I'm always pretty sensitive to sunlight, but that's just the way I always am, with or without contacts.
  8. I've worn contact lenses for about twenty years and never had a problem with light sensitivity. I'm quite tolerant of light though, doesn't bother me a great deal with contacts or glasses. I live in the snow belt too. We can have snow on the ground from early November into April, so I'm familiar with glare from the snow. My eyes are blue. Well, kind of a blue/green/hazel. I've never heard that blue eyes are more sensitive to light. My wife and older son both have brown eyes. They are more sensitive to light and always need to wear sunglasses when driving. My daughter and younger son both have my eye color and rarely wear sunglasses.
  9. Ive been wearing lenses for about 3 years now, and my eyes have always been quite sensitive anyway. The lenses dont seem to have any effect on it. I have blue eyes by the way. I dunno but it might depend on what type of lenses you wear?
  10. I've never noticed light having more affect when I have my contacts in. Maybe you should ask someone who knows what their talking about.... as in a pro.

I got coloured blue contacts today too which is nice. I think they look cool, but my parents think i look like a psycho.
  11. JizzDogg

Nov 4, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    My eyes with contacts in hate when I'm either tired or have air blown directly on them while having my heat on in the car. I'll start getting eye aches, and irritation.
  12. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I've been wearing contacts for about nine years now and haven't noticed any increased sensitivity to light when I have my contacts in compared to when I'm wearing glasses. All my siblings and both my parents wear contacts, and of them my father and brother have to wear sunglasses when it's sunny out. My brother told me his optometrist actually told him he should wear sunglasses in the sun. My father has astigmatism, but I don't know if that changes anything.
  13. Clean them constantly, dirty contact lense (even 1 day of calcium build up) can make your eyes EXTREMELY sensitive, and expecally to light. I use this weird Disc system that basically douces them in hydrogen peroxide and over night some chemical reaction changes it to saline and makes them truly feal new every time i put them in. is truly amazing. (DONT PUT HYDROGEN PEROXIDE IN YOUR EYE:bawl: ) but keep them excessively clean, ive been wearing contacts sense i was in 3ed grade! :eek: but thats because my visions too bad to be corrected with glasses :cool:
  14. The best thing I have ever used for overnight cleaning is a product by CIBA Vision called AOSEPT - Disinfectant. It uses that "weird disc system" i was talking about. Check it out, i think it will REALLY help you.

sorry it took me so long to get that info up.
  15. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    My eyes are slightly more sensitive to sunlight. I always keep a pair of sunglasses handy and I'm fine.
  16. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

Actually, it doesn't change to saline but rather into pure water. Peroxide (H2O2), if left uncovered for about 2 or 3 hours, will change into water because the extra water atom is allowed to escape into the air, thus becoming water (H2O).

damn chemistry:p

Now, on topic--

You SHOULD wear sunglasses whether your eyes are sensitive or not. The lenses, although UV protectant, actually magnify the UV rays that do go through your lenses and significantly increase your risk of developing cataracts. My eyes are very sensitive, but I never give them the chance to be because I don't go outside in the sun without sunglasses.
  17. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

Bingo. Thats what I was referring to, but didn't see it before I posted the first time. For some reason, most optometrists don't convey all the risks associated with wearing contact lenses. They usually tell you "don't sleep in them" or "don't wear them for a long time," but they never seem to really tell you why or what the consequences are. I recently went to the optometrist and he was quite angry with me because I've been up late at night studying with my contacts in. It can cause a *very* serious disease that is not curable and is very painful.

Always listen to your eye doctor:D