1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

contacting press for a tour

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by nathan, Apr 14, 2010.

1. nathan

nathan

Jul 16, 2004
    In a little over a month my band will be leaving to go on a 6 week tour across the US.

Since we're virtually unknown in most of the cities we're playing in, I thought it would be a good idea to contact some local newspapers and send them a press kit. Maybe they could review our album and promote the show or something.

What's the best way to go about doing this?

Any suggestions?

2. 251

Oct 6, 2006
    Metro Boston MA
    There is no magic, just old fashioned sales. Outline what you want to say, get on the phone & ask the person that answers who you should talk to. Ask everyone you talk to how to get reviews & air play in their city, which stations to call, who to talk with. When you make a contact send your material in a USPS Priority envelope with the words Requested Material in plain sight.

Find web pages for the newspapers in each city, look at their entertainment pages, find names of their reviewers, writers... See how often they publish. If it's a weekly find out if you can make their deadline. Get the same info for radio stations & call, call, call + keep notes. MS Outlook is good for this but, a loose leaf notebook where you can group pages together works as well.

Talk to the club/venue manager in each city to find out who to call, to not interfere with their PR & so he/she knows you are putting in the effort to make a successful show.

FWIW, expect to call each prospect 7 times before you can say they aren't responding. If a voicemail can be 20 seconds long, you have more than 2 minutes to deliver your message. Break it into pieces & leave a 20 second sound bite each time you call. Keep a list of everyone you call, the phone #, address, date you called & notes about the call. Make sure there is a smile on your face when you leave voicemail. The caller needs to hear your smile!

& this advice about swimming with sharks; Never say 'I'm Sorry' to a businessman. Say 'I Apologize', instead. The reverse for a business woman, do say 'I'm Sorry' rather than 'I Apologize'.

3. +1

In terms of getting yourselves printed smaller/free/arts papers are more likely to get you in. Large papers, your press release usually needs to have something "press-worthy". An example is Pearl Jam; they're eliminating all emissions made by their tour by planting xxx xxx amount of trees in Washington area.

Throughout dealing with people/your press package, always look into the little things: Spell checking, Grammar and not making it sound cookie-cutter.

4. I just heard this idea from someone who had a bit of success.

If you're in town and have some time, go to a radio station you've been getting ahold of. With a CD/presskit and try to hunt down a radio host. Chat it up a bit and once he/she's warmed up to you a bit, give them your CD and see if they can't get you a 4 second blip of your show on air.

While all this is going on, you've come bearing homemade cookies :D

ps: if you're @ a station in LA, make sure you're not wearing a Canucks shirt XD

5. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    i was particularly impressed with how much buzz was generated with our band over a one picture, small write-up in three local newspapers. two months later people still remembered and recognized some of us- i would never have thought...
    people still read newspapers

6. Is your writeup on a site? I wanna see :D :D :D

7. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    you are really late in getting this rolling.
    i'd contact every venue and get a local press list for every date.
    also, all college radio stations etc...
    any decent venue or even coffe shop can provide this.
    always worked for me...
    probably too late to hire a publicist for the tour at this point.
    there are some quite affordable indie publicist out there...
    search the webs...