1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Contacting promoters

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by funkalicious101, Sep 14, 2008.

1. I am trying to get into my cities local music scene and have been having some trouble. I figure most of this trouble is from my music being new age solo bass (If you are going to comment on how stupid it must sound please listen to it first, there is a link in my signature).

Several people I know in the "scene" (aquaintances, I cant ask them to pull me any favours) have told me the names of some promoters I should contact.

Unfortunately I am not so good at... well... communicating to other people.

I figure I will send them an e-mail or a message on myspace but can anyon help me with any do's and dont's? Or a template it should adhere to?

Thank you,
    Sam Becker.

2. Dogsferatu

Dogsferatu

May 22, 2007
    Austin, TX
    If you are uncomfortable selling your self verbally I would highly suggest an agent or marketing person.
    Looking over your myspace and listening to the tracks i suggest the following as a fellow musician:
    1) Add the venues you want to play at and let them add you or accept your add
    2) after a set amount of time, send them an email inquiring about booking in their venue
    3) Send out a promo pack
    4) network
    5) do sit in gigs now and then (go back to #4)

as an event manager I would suggest the following:
    1) Don't call
    2) Don't show up without an appointment
    3) Have a decent website or legitimate friends on your myspace. Have fans, friends, peers, and influences on you friends list.
    4) Know what tech requirements you need
    5) Know the venue you want to play at. If it's a party bar, you are not going to fit in... if it's a jazz bar or something along those lines you will...
    6) Have a following of at least 10 or more people (or at least get friends/family) out to that gig to help cheer you on and promote you.
    7) Be confident.

3. Thank you, thats some really good stuff. Anyone have anything else I should know?

And I wouldnt say I'm not comfortable with myself verbaly but I have never ever done anything like this at all.