Contemplating downsizing my rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Squidfinger, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Something's been on my mind lately. I don't think I can any longer justify the rig I currently own. I have never been in a band, only jam with friends very sporadically, but practice a couple of hours everday solo. I own a GK 1001RB-II, GK NEO212, and a Peavey 4X10TVX (all the speakers need replacing).

I practice in a small, cell-like room at the end of a single wide trailer. I have to turn the bass ALL the way down and play with a pick just so something other than mud comes out my cab. The rig sounds great at my friends house :( . I think I have been very naive about my power requirements. I watched my instructor's jam band play and all the bass player used was one of these 100W SS combos:

The room had easily 50-75 people in it and he cut through great using fingerstyle. Every note was clear. He was very nice and I felt like a complete turd when I told him what rig I owned :oops: .

Something else has also been on my mind, tubes. I have never played a tube amp. The thing that I'm most aware of when listening to classic rock and motown are their G strings. They still have soul/funk on them!!!! My G string has zero funk. It sounds like a guitar. Because of this I had my Bob Glaub P modified BEAD. The B is nice but I've realized just how rarely I use it. If I get a tube amp I think I'll modify it back to EADG.

So I have a check for $500 coming in soon and I'm thinking about selling the GK1001RB-II and NEO212 off on Ebay and getting an Ampeg V4BH and 210.

If you were in my position would you do this??????? I really want to hear some opinions.

HELP :help:
  2. Think about what you have.

Think about whether you really need the money.

Think about the future, and what your needs might be then.

Add that all up, add a touch of rationalizing, and if at the end of the day you think you could still get by with the V4B and a single cab (which I totally think you could), then go for it.

If the rig is simply something you cannot use to its potential, that's quite a quandry.
  3. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    My opinion is this...

Everytime I have downsized to a smaller rig because I wasn't in a band or felt that I didn't need that much power, I always wound up regretting it. It seems whenever I sell stuff on ebay, I always find myself wishing that I hadn't. I sold an SWR SOB because it was collecting dust and literally within a week after selling it I joined a band and wished I still had it. I say unless you absolutely need the $ to upgrade your gear, don't sell your old stuff. My 2 cents.
  4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    IF you do decide to sell that G-K head, let me know how much you want for it.
  5. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Will do.
  6. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Downsizing isn't a bad thing by any means. Unless the gear you own is irreplaceable, selling off what you don't use for something that you will use is a wise thing to do.

I "downsized" for a number of reasons. I have a bum back that makes lugging heavy gear painful. Also, because I gig fairly often, lugging a heavy cab every weekend didn't make sense to me or my health. Lastly, with the type of gigs I was playing, a mammoth stack wouldn't have been worth having.

Right now I have a few compact rigs that can easily be combined to form a monster rig. Prior to that, I had a little SWR Workingman's 12 that logged over 300 gigs on it (including outdoor festivals). At the same time I had a Trace Elliot stack that was lucky to get used a half-dozen times a year.

The only time I ever found a huge rig to be necessary was for outdoor gigs, or larger venues. But even with these, you can get by with just a DI if the sound engineer mixes the monitors right.

Buyin something that you will use is money well spent. Keeping something that you aren't gonna use is tying up funds for something that you will use.
  7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The gk head should do what you need. Play with the eq section. If you're all mud and not cutting thru, kill some 150hz and below, and some 800 hz, and some 3+khz. I'm not familiar with the gk cab, deos it have a good horn/tweeter and an attenuator for it? If not, you might consider adding one, or swapping to a brighter cab...String choice can also make a substanital difference in brightness and "cut-thru-the-mix-ability," you might spend some time in the string sub-forum and find guys with similar bass and amp setups to see what has worked for them...

8. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

both current and future. Are you sure its the amp? Could your pickups need a bit of adjusting, it can be a free fix. How are the strings? Some experimentation may be in order. Maybe a Sansa Amp whizmo could cure the existing ills.
    Ge whiz, man o' man, just re-read your post. A Glaub should be darned dandy! You may wish to play around with different strings.

Personally, I miss each and every Ampeg I ever sold and couldn't fault you for getting one.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.
  9. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Chef and Wesley R:

It's not the GK at all. It's perfectly fine for what it is. It's the room acoustics that make it sound so crappy (why I want to go back to EADG and get a 210). I just think I would like to try something a little more "old-school." I kind of jumped into the GK pool thinking I was gonna be playing metal when deep down in my heart I wanted to play Allman Bros, Grand Funk Railroad, STP, and even a little Motown. I suppose I want a more "colored" sound. The main thing that bothers me about the GK is how noisy it is. Even with the treble all the way down I can still hear my pick hitting the strings. My index and middle fingers sound like night and day when I'm root pumping fingerstyle :( . I had some time before my lesson recently and I decided to try out some amps with my Glaub. The first one I plugged into was a Fender Bassman 400. Sure it had almost no volume and the clipping light was on the whole time I was playing at bedroom levels but it was much closer to the tone I was looking for. I was in heaven root pumping with the eq flat and the sound was completely even. If that SS pos sounds like that I can't wait to try a tube amp.

Sorry Daniel Elliott, but I think I want lo-fi. :bag:

The Glaub is PERFECTLY adjusted, I've seen to that myself. Low action, no buzz, no distortion from the pu's being too high. I plan on keeping it forever.
  10. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Maybe just get a smaller combo amp, but keep your old stuff. Down the line you might eventually have a use for that rig (which sounds pretty kickass). I sold of my Ampeg SVT-4pro a few years ago, but now I am playing bass again and am using a MAG-300. Dont get me wrong, the MAG is nice but it will probably be a long time before I have a sick bass amp again.
  11. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I'd maybe use a SABDDI through the effects return on your head through either a quality 112 or 212. No reason to sell everything, just the stuff that isn't needed. Do the speakers need replacing in your 212 also or just the 410?
  12. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Keep your head.

Buy (or at least test) a Sansamp BDDI

Sell your cabs (if you feel the need still)

Buy a Schroeder 1210.

You'll have much less to carry around, you'll still be plenty loud (thanks to the Schroeder), and you should be able to find a way to warm up your tone with the BDDI.

I love my Ampeg V4B, but I can already tell that its not something I'd wanna walk into a huge venue with. You never know when these situations could arise, so its good to keep some reasonable power and speaker reliability on hand. If you test the BDDI and dont think its what your looking for, I recommend going pre-power. there are some very warm sounding tube preamps. If you still want all-tube, then you should go for at least 200Watts... and that's gonna be DAMN heavy.
  13. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Keep in mind whenever stuff is sold one inevitably looses money. Depreciation, taxes, shipping... it all adds up.

Maybe keep your stuff and buy a small combo?
  14. ill buy your whole rig (head+neo212)

let me know asap.
  15. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    look at it this way, your head is relatively small. keep it.

get a small cab that can handle a good amount of watts/abuse. maybe a bag end S15, aguilar GS112, epifani 112, etc.

that makes a very portable rig that can handle a lot of gigs. if you need more volume you can bring your bigger cabs, or buy a second small cab and just bring both.

plus, that way you dont take a bath by selling the head for significantly less than you paid for it.
  16. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    +1 Consider the Bergantino Ht112 also. The GK head you have is a good amp, hold on to it.
  17. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA

That's the idea.

A pair of Aggie 112's can basically get you through any medium gig or maybe more. You've definately got the power with your head.... so dont go too crazy with the idea of selling it unless you're like... utterly sick of it or something like that.
  18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I stood at those crossroads myself a few months ago. I ended up with an iAMP 500 and an Epifani 112. I almost bought that Ampeg B100 also. In the end, it is better to have too much power than not enough.

19. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine

True dat!

There's no substitute for horsepower, and gobs of good clean headroom *is* horsepower.
  20. I stood at the same and came out with an iAMP 350 and an Aggie GS112. it sure beats my old GK plus 2 1x15 set-up.

To the original poster: You're not in a band, you rarely play with other folks. While you haven't mentioned prospects for changing those situations, if there are none, I think you should definately go small. What's the point of all that for playing alone at home? I think those recommending keeping the head and getting a small 1 x 12 are exactly right.

With the above set-up I have, I can easily keep up in a practice situation with two guitarists and a drummer (post-punk, loud). If the time comes for me to need more volume, I'll add another GS112 and be done.