1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Contemplating replacing my Begantino ht112 with the wizzy 10

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by fuminator, Jul 29, 2007.

1. fuminator

fuminator

Jun 10, 2007
    New York
    Is this crazy? I've had the Bergantino cabinet for a little while and have never ever liked my sound out of it. So I hear about this wizzy 10 that's supposed to be unbelievable etc. and decide to haul my bass down and check it out. Sure enough I loved it. I got a good sound with both my upright and my fender jazz (i use AI Clarus as the amp). Fortunately or unfortunately there was no price determined so I couldn't buy it. That night I had a gig and used the Bergantino and I've never ever had such a great sound with that cabinet ever! Absolutely frustrating! A few hours ago I almost dropped a few hundred for this extremely lightweight cabinet only to discover that the one I've had all along sounds good after all. I don't know if it was the room, my mood, or having spent an hour listening to various cabs and heads but I managed to get a good sound that was full and very present without being loud.

Should I just hang on to the Berg? Or move on to the wizzy. I've got a car so weight isn't a huge issue (though a cabinet that weighs 25 pounds less is very tempting). Just about all of the gigs that I do are not loud gigs so I don't need anything that loud. In fact for years I only used my GK combo and I think part of the reason I didn't like the Berg 112 is because it has more power than what I was used to having! I would rather not have two cabinets though in the long run it might be worth it.

Any thoughts on the matter?

2. LarryR

LarryR

Feb 2, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I've gone through a lot of gear the past few years. The big test is during performance. IMO, I'd keep the Berg. It's proven itself once. I'd focus in on why it worked so well. Mine has seen alot of others come and go.

3. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    +1
    Listen to LarryR. The Berg is just a great all around box.

4. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I'd keep the Berg for sure, but is it possible to have both? The Wizzy would be nice to have for those smaller gigs where you don't want to haul around a 40 lb box.

5. fuminator

fuminator

Jun 10, 2007
    New York
    Thanks everyone for responding.

After considering my options, I decided to keep my Berg. I used it on a few other gigs and it's very full sounding. The pairing with the AI Focus is great. If the volume is too low I'm often wondering: "is the amp on? is that me?" because the reproduction of the natural acoustic bass sound is fantatstic.

Now I' just waiting to get some cash and pick me up that Wizzy 10. Reading these threads too much is addictive and bad for my wallet. So many good reviews for that cabinet I just want to go out and buy one!

Thanks again.

6. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Well, if it ain't broke...

If you were considering a backup, why not a Wizzy 12?