Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Contemplating the Engine Room

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by Matt Till, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Watt,

I went into a music store today to cruise through CDs. My recent purchases have left me feeling a bit ripped off... but then again, I got them in the discount bin. So today I decide to check out every single CD available, in reverse alphabetical order... soon enough I got to the W's and who else should I see... why Mr. Mike Watt (that's you :D ) Though I hadn't heard much from you other than a few minutemen songs, I clung to this album and continued looking through the rest of the CDs... though tempted by other CDs, in the end I chose Contemplating the Engine Room... I made the right decision.

My life, including my bassplaying... which is actually... well... my life has been a bit uninspired lately. I've been playing too much funk (we all love funk, but in order to be a versitale bassist you need to be a little more diverse) and the only inspiring bass albums I've bought recently was a James Brown album... funk.

I popped in Contemplating the Engine Room and when everything came together, I was so excited. Bass, lyrics, concepts, guitar, drums, vocals... I loved everything. So I just wanted to say thank you, this album has really opened my ears. I even got a little teary eyed during Boilerman, beautiful song Watt... beautiful album. It's so genre spanning. Alright, I could go on and on... fellow Talkbassers... if you haven't ... Buy Contemplating the Engine Room... NOW! You won't regret it.

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Right now... I'm gonna go for a walk and listen to Contemplating the Engine Room... when I'm walking late at night with music, it's incredible. It's just me and the music, top three things in this world... in some sort of order...

1) Playing the bass
    2) Sex :D
    3) Playing the bass while having sex... wait... this is number 1
    4) Walking on a cool (or in tonights case... cold) night while listening to music
    5) Having sex and listening to music.

3. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

matt,

very kind words from you, thank you very much.

speaking of james brown, I just forwarded this:

Perfect Sound Forever <perfect-sound@furious.com> wrote:
    >
    > This is a genuine tragedy.
    >
    > Clyde Stubblefield has been diagnosed with bladder
    > cancer and has no health insurance to pay for treatment.
    >
    > Clyde Stubblefield was James Brown's drummer. He was
    > paid very little for writing some of the baddest drum
    > beats on the planet and recieves no royalties. His
    > beats have been sampled for public enemy's fight the
    > power, NWA's F*ck the Police, and countless more hip
    > hop track that tazza can fill you in on.
    >
    > There's more info at
    >
    > http://www.clyde.zabu.org
    >
    >

clyde is an amazing drummer - incredible.

on bass, watt

4. julioone

julioone Guest

Jun 20, 2001
    Suring, WI, USA
    I know this is off of the subject matter, but I am very sorry to hear of the Clyde Stubblefield cancer news. I have talked to Clyde several times and know friends of his. He is a great drummer and in the R&R hall of fame. One of the nicest guys. He always takes time to talk to anyone and is very gracious. I wish him the best. He has lived in Madison WI for many years.

5. watt

hi,

thanks much for the word on clyde - I have much, much respect for him and his work - a treasure for us all.

on bass, watt

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    That's a tradgedy about Clyde. I have the utmost respect for a funky drummer. I love it when my guitarist friend jumps on a drumkit and we have bass and drum jams, he's a pretty funky cat... for a guitarist ;) I hear a funky beat, I just let my hands go to work and sit back and listen.

I don't know what I think of sampling. But he's pretty much THE drummer to sample. Along with Bootsy being THE bassist to sample.

7. I was sad when I heard about this . Clyde is the man.

8. watt

aaren,

amen - much respect to clyde.

on bass, watt