1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Contemplating trying tapewounds ...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by tjh, Oct 22, 2013.

1. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I have done extensive testing when I transitioned back to flats a while back, and arrived at tastes preferring Chromes, Sadowsky, and even a very old set of Dean Markley flats that I found ... I am now considering trying some tapewounds, just for the experience, and to say I did ...

...any suggestions for a good place to start for brand/gauges/etc considering my flat tastes ... I play passive 4 string Jazz's only ... GK power and Hartke or Ampeg sealed cabs, prefer 10's ... tone is strong lower mid pop, no real low bass or 'woof' interest ...I generally do not care for the heavy gauge strings, tend toward lighter, with mediums even a stretch ... no interest in wild colors either, black would suit me just fine ... I am an old coot ... thanks in advance ...

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    45-105 labella tapes are excellent, though the 60-115's aren't especially high tension. The black tapes are great for classic thump and the white tapes very similar, just brighter. Both great strings.

3. unclebass

unclebass

Dec 17, 2012
    Check out the D'Addario tapes on bassstringsonline.com. They are supposed to be able to fit your bass without having to modify the nut. If tapes turn out to be something you like, then you could try other brands and gauges. If not, no harm to your bass.

4. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    thanks guys ...

... uncle, you are right on there .. that was my only criteria, I was not about to modify the nut any of my basses to give them a try .. I have basses that I used just for 'test beds', but I would only be trying strings that would fit the existing nut slots ...

5. Alex E

Alex E

Mar 2, 2006
    I currently have the .105 gauge D'Addario black nylon set on my Fretless. They are good strings, but I should have gone with the .105 black LaBellas. They have more tonal range and superior warmth. They feel better on your fingers, too!

The black D'Addarios are better than adequate, yet the Labellas are a quantum leap up.

6. LowBC

LowBC Commercial User

Nov 17, 2008
    Music Go Round - Aurora, CO (owner) We buy used gear!
    I've used the GHS tapewound set and thought they did well (lots o' thud) but I did have to widen some nut slots.

good luck!

7. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Wondering about this myself ... I have a spare 5 string set of black tape wound LaBella strings (bought extra for my Rob Allen bass) and thought I'd put them on my active fretless Jazz. Currently it has nickel roundwounds and it sounds pretty much (too much) like my fretted jazz bass, so I thought the flatwounds would give me a different tone? Just wondering what it will do to the fretless "growl", better or worse?

What's held me back trying it is I probably have to cut the nut since the strings are much thicker, and I'm reluctant to do that unless I'm fairly sure I'll like the result.

Good idea, bad idea?

8. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    I didn't have to widen any nut slots today (just threw them on a Lakland Skyline 44/64 P Bass and a Warwick Fortress), but with the Warwick, I had to pull some silk and tape off the strings to get them to fit properly in the tuning pegs. That's an issue.

They sound nice though; will have an audio sample up by the end of the day.

EDIT: Here it is.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  9. HuntYouDown

HuntYouDown

Jan 3, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    I have black tapes on my passive USA Jazz 5 and I really think they are great. So smooth when sliding notes, and you get a woody thud time, which is really cool, also nice if played very subtle.

10. HuntYouDown

HuntYouDown

Jan 3, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    Tone not time, auto correct error.

11. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    thanks all for sharing ...