Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Contemporary Christian recommendations?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by count_funkula, May 15, 2001.

1. I just bought a 5 string bass and need something to get an idea of how to play this thing.
    I play for my church and we do a lot of contemporary Christian music. Christian bassists seem
    to play 5 or 6 string basses a lot.

Who are some good artists that I can get some inspiration from.

Thanks

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Hmm, let's see.

Can't go wrong with Jars of Clay. I know the bassist from Sixpence None the Richer uses at least a five string, I hear a few of those B string notes every now and again on their album. Um, Audio Adrenaline, The Newsboys, those are all good contemporary Christian bands. When I was in a worship band last summer, those were the main groups we did songs from. Good luck!

3. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Boy, there are lots of great groups out there now. It's great to see the diversity and talent level in Christian music now, unlike when I started playing. My heroes are Abraham Laboriel and Tommy Sims. If you like rock, check out Whiteheart's "Freedom" with Mr. Sims on it, it's on MY top 10 list of alltimers. Abraham Laboriel was one of the first Christian musicians I ever saw that just blew me away with both his spirit and talent level. Most of his stuff now is jazz flavored, but he was on about every other album coming out of LA in the '80's. As far as newer stuff, "Freakshow" by DC Talk is a great live set featuring some good bass lines. "Soul" by Margaret Becker has both Tommy Sims and Jimmy Lee Sloas (the best player no one has ever heard of) on bass and has MONSTER licks on it! Third Day, Audio Adrenalin, and Jars of Clay have some really cool stuff, but (IMO) is not very challenging, basswise. If you are helping with leading music in your church, check out the Passion cd's, especially the "Road to One Day", it has some killer songs on it.

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I was going to suggest both Jars of Clay and DC Talk. Here's an idea. Check the Internet to find the Dove Awards. They were just a few weeks ago. The Dove Awards are like the Grammies, but only for Christian music.

Find out who the winners were in various categories and see what was written about the winners and nominees. That way you can discover some of the current most popular acts in the Christian genre.

By the way, both Jars of Clay and DC Talk have won Dove Awards in the past and have been frequent nominees. I don't know how they fared this year.

5. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    if you were asking about Christian metal, then I could help! :D

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Delirious?

But I think you should develop your own style and learn to fit in with the other musicians. Listen to everything. Listen to how Ron Kenoli's band and the Hillsongs band work as a team and listen to a variety of 'normal' bands. Try to be be better than them. You might not achieve it but set your standards high and have fun.

I played in a worship band to 1000 people last night and I'm supposed to be humble and say words like 'ministry' etc but I enjoyed myself.

7. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Soul is indeed a stunning album - there a lick on the last track that I nicked and it became the basis for a heck of a lot of where my playing went for about two years after that - just from one lick!! LOL

Tommy Simms is an amazing player, and his solo album is superb. I'll also second the Abe recommendation - there's a live album out at the moment of Abe live at the Baked Potato (world's coolest venue? I think so...) with Vinnie Colauita, Greg Matheson and Michael Landau - I saw this band play in January, and they ROCK!

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

8. I have listened to some Crystal Lewis stuff and she has a really good bassist. Any opinions on what her best album is?

And by the way, there is nothing wrong with having a good time playing in a worship band. :^)

9. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    :) I know I was taking a pop at people who take themselves too seriously

10. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    You betcha! Express yourself! I'm wireless and lovin' it. By day, I'm a mild mannered insurance agent. But when I plug in, I become...spastic bass dude!!! There are WAY too many "shoe watchers" playing today, in any genre. BTW, if you are ever fortunate to catch Abe Laboriel live (I think he's on the first couple of Ron Kenoly videos, as well as the Koinonia concert I've seen on BET Jazz from time to time), he is the patron saint of having a good time while you are on stage! His spirit just overflows and you can see and feel just how much joy he has when he plays.

11. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    John I have seen one of those videos and he does have a good time during a bass solo.