1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Contemporary Worship

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by progrmr, Sep 10, 2008.

1. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Not sure if this is the right forum - so many to choose from! :)

Anyway I'm just getting started with the bass, but I'm looking to augment my practice with some actual songs. Looking for some contemporary worship songs that I can get some music for, but also allow me some flexibility to work in some of my own "flavor" where appropriate.

Where can I find this stuff? Don't mind paying if I need to - free is always good but some things its tough to put a price on.

2. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    Check with the chuch you go to and see what they can do to help. If they do not ahve a contemporary choir look for a church that does.

3. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    I've got some song titles, but I'm looking for musical transcriptions - Open the Eyes of My Heart Lord; Come, now is the time to worship; Your name is holy; Lord, reign in me; All who are thirsty; Your beloved; Change my heart O God; I want to know you; Blessed be your name.

I have audio but being a total beginner I need a starting point.

4. jconary

jconary

May 18, 2008
    Germantown, MD
    You might try activebass.com or christianguitar.org. They both carry tab for contemporary worship songs.

5. You could also try iwillworship.com. I've pulled a few charts from that site though and found a few errors in them though. Should be close enough to get started.

6. RedsFan75

RedsFan75

Apr 26, 2007
    Cincinnati
    In addition to those mentioned, Hal Leonard has a new series of books focused just on contemporary worship.
    Worship Band Play along, volume 1 "Holy is the Lord" Bass Edition features songs Agnus Dei, Be Unto Your Name, God of Wonders, Holy is the Lord, It is You, Open the Eyes of My Heart, We Fall Down, and You Are Holy.

Comes with a CD that has demo tracks and a track without the bass part. Also includes a version of Amazing Slow Downer to reduce the tempo of the track without altering the pitch. ISBN 9781423417149

Volumes 2 and 3 are scheduled for publication soon.

And no I'm not with Hal Leonard. :)

7. derelicte

derelicte

Dec 25, 2007
    NJ/NYC
    Hey there! check out guitarpraise for tabs n vids and iwillworship for chord charts n lyrics and ENJOY PRAISING!!!
    :bassist::bassist:

8. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Thanks! lots of great suggestions. Definitely going to pick up the Hal Leonard book too.

9. QU!CK

QU!CK

Apr 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    "How Great is Our God" seems to be another contemporary favorite for most congregations that I've played for.

-J

10. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    try to get some sheet music for the songs you mentioned from your church, and then just learn the chord changes playing 'roots' to the tempo of the drummers ... good place to start and learn the notes on the neck, and how to move from chord to chord ... just an idea

11. G-sound

G-sound

Oct 30, 2007
    Huntingtown, MD