1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

contender for heaviest bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Microbass, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Click

Also, is it just me, or does that neck look pretty warped? :meh:

2. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    399f_1.

Yeah, something seems askew from the third fret up :scowl:

3. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    There is almost certainly a bow in that neck!
    I think the heaviest bass ever though was my old Ibanez Studio 8-string bass (not quite 893 pounds though...!). Its body was solid walnut/ mahogany and super thick and large sized as well- add the fact that all the hardware was solid brass and the giant solid maple neck, and it was like holding up a 50 pound sandbag on my shoulder for a couple hours a night! Despite that, it was probably one of the nicest sounding/ highest build qualities of any bass I've ever owned! (old Japanese basses are second to none in build quality in my opinion!)
    I have an all-maple Carvin now that doesn't even come in the same ballpark weight-wise as the Ibanez, though the body is quite a bit smaller than one of those Rippers!

Karl

4. Ten Four One

Ten Four One

Dec 5, 2006
    That looks like a bad photo.

Heaviest bass? Any of those old Kramer aluminum neck basses.

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    ^^^

I was just about to mention that! What a beast! It must be a custom job for Stanley Clarke.

6. The old Peavy T 40 was made of solid ash, not the lighter swamp ash, but Heavy Northern ash.

It must have weighed almost 18 pounds. There may be basses that weigh more, but I have never played one.

It sounded great though.

7. johnpaulbass

johnpaulbass

Nov 2, 2005
    Slovenia
    I found an alembic Mark King signature.. 20kg!!!

I don't know if it's true but when I took it in my hands I've almost broke down

8. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Guys...

JPEG compression algorithms can cause straight lines to skew.

First day, new computer?

9. Actually ^ what he says. If you look at the frets you will see that this is the case ;)

10. Khronic

Khronic Richard J. Naimish Banned

Oct 24, 2006
    Grand Junction, CO.
    893 pounds? That must be the Holy Grail of tone, high mass Bass. Leo Quan might know something about it.;)

11. rickon

rickon

Sep 26, 2006
    The frets that are essentially flat or almost parallel to the screen aren't aliasing. The viewer is trying to calculate what an angled fret would look like. In low res. Thus the aliasing of the upper frets. Otherwise the frets would be just as clean as the lower ones. If you look at the body of the bass, it is almost square to the screen. That headstock is definitely at more of an angle than the body.

12. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    +1. I also owned a Studio 8-String and was preparing to mention it when I read your post. That thing could put your leg to sleep if you played sitting down - and standing up, using a thin strap might very well have sliced me in half like a hunk of cheese.

Easily 893 lbs. if not more. But to be fair, ANOTHER +1 for the sound. It was awesome.

13. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    Control, alt, hold (beep beep)...pushes up glasses...types frantically.:D

Actually didn't know that but had seen it on other pics. Thanks for explanation.

14. +1 ON THE T40!

15. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    my fretless is around 13 pounds:
    [​IMG]

16. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    My old Conklin Jake Kot signature... Solid zebrano with a purpleheart top! Thing was a freakin' boat anchor!!! :crying:

[​IMG]

17. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    When I was bass shopping I played this freak StingRay. It had to have weighed fifteen or sixteen pounds.

When the salesman lifted it down from the top row of basses, he nearly fell over because he didn't expect it to weigh so much.

Graeme

18. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    There were some Schecter J/P copies around in the early '80s that were all rosewood, and ridiculously weighty.

19. tbrannon

tbrannon

Jun 11, 2006
    +2 for the T-40.