1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Content/questions for Slap Bass DVD

Discussion in 'Ask Ray Riendeau' started by rayriendeau, Apr 15, 2010.

1. rayriendeau

rayriendeau

Mar 19, 2007
    Arizona, USA
    Hi all
    As I get closer to shooting my Instructional Slap Bass DVD I was thinking about its content. The DVD will cover all aspects of slap bass and will be beginner to advanced in subject matter.

I wanted to get feedback from you as to what you'd like to see covered on the DVD as well.
    Please post anything that you think I should include, all ideas welcome.

Thanks!

2. rayriendeau

rayriendeau

Mar 19, 2007
    Arizona, USA
  3. \m/cliffB\m/

\m/cliffB\m/

Jun 23, 2009
    dirty jearsy
    double thumping is a big one i really need to get that down

4. ROAR

ROAR

Jul 5, 2009
    may i say that maybe you could focus on how to make it musical beacause thats why i am listening to your cd's

everyone i know who's into slap they are just learning exercises and it does not sound like your way of doing it so maybe you could cover some ideas of how do you do it so musically

5. \m/cliffB\m/

\m/cliffB\m/

Jun 23, 2009
    dirty jearsy
    i would love also if u teach how to do a double pluck like you do

6. rayriendeau

rayriendeau

Mar 19, 2007
    Arizona, USA
    Thanks guys! :)

7. ROAR

ROAR

Jul 5, 2009
    & another thoat - maybe you could cover another one topic about playing in pocket because alot of people teach you how to play but not so many teach u how to play in a pocket like a duo & what inspired you to do it & how to play it and sound so fullfilling

tomorrow i am going to play at a rock gig with my drummer as a duo & we will be playing jazz standarts and guess who inspired us to play ACTUAL PROOF )?

8. rayriendeau

rayriendeau

Mar 19, 2007
    Arizona, USA
    My Instructional DVD is being filmed in L.A. in late August. There have been some delays but finally I'm pleased to say that it should be available late this year or early 2011.

9. taphappy

taphappy doot de doo

Sep 28, 2007
    Tempe, Arizona
    I can't remember who it was who did it, not positive that it was one of your things (never got ahold of it), but I remember hearing about some intricate bassist/drummer paired rhythmic exercises that I never tracked down. Dunno if you were gonna drag a Thuddy McSkinbeater down for the shoot, but. I can dream...

Other than what these guys said, one of the things I'd really like to see out of an instructional DVD is rhythmic choices in ghostie or LH/RH mute placement with slap/tap/fingerstyle, and when not to play altogether.

And maybe something that I've never noticed covered in-depth - proper bass setup for considerations for hammer-ons, slap, and tap.

And the kitchen sink, while you're at it. I'll stop now.

Anyhoo, grats! Sounds fun :)

10. rayriendeau

rayriendeau

Mar 19, 2007
    Arizona, USA
    I will have a drummer for my performance parts of the DVD. We plan on breaking things down and giving some insight to the interaction (grooves) we do.
    Great suggestions!!!! Thanks!!