1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Contingency planning for unlikely events

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Armueller2001, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    So being a very frugal individual, one of my main goals is attaining financial security as soon as possible for myself and my family. At some point I aim to have enough cash flow generating assets and a low enough spending level that we would be fine if we never saw another paycheck. There are many other kinds of security that one can attend to as a preparation in case of unlikely, but potentially devastating events. Some of these measures may be referred to as "prepping".

For physical security, we have a monitored alarm system and a dog. We also own and are proficient with firearms in case someone is not deterred by the first two and the police can not arrive in time.

As far as food/water security, it is one of my goals (likely after financial independence) to move to a mountainous area that has a stream nearby and have a large garden and some livestock - rabbits, goats, chickens etc. In the event of a global crisis I want to know that even without access to my financial assets, my family will not starve. And even if life continues on as normal I'll save a TON of money on food and have something entertaining to do.

Anyone have similar strategies for comprehensive risk management?

EDIT: Please do not turn this into a political thread :)

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Tell me more about your bug out bag...

EDIT: Just noticed your avatar... this definitely will not turn political...

3. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    It's always a good idea to have a couple of weeks worth of water, food and firewood around. That's sort of the bare minimum smart thing for any family to have. I've gone a teeny bit further and have a good supply of TP, first aid and OTC meds, good boots for the whole family new in boxes, and plenty of warm and regular clothing and blankets. That's about as far as I've gone with it, unless you count the camping gear that many people have anyway. I'm living urban, so I guess if we had to bug out, the Chevy Tahoe I own would count too; 4x4, plenty of space for supplies, basic straightforward engine that could likely run on improvised fuel like alcohol, and a full size spare tire.

I also have a Kala U bass and a small amp that runs on batteries...

twinjet likes this.
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Nope, no plans like that.

-Mike

hrodbert696 and Munjibunga like this.
  5. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    After 6 decades, a few hurricanes, watching floods from a distance, seeing empty shelves in stores many times......the OLD Boy Scout motto of "Be Prepared" does come to mind "As the world goes down the drain"(Joe Walsh lyric from "Bubbles"). Protecting yourself and your loved ones is normally ones responsibility as-is providing for them.

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Yup. Raised in boy scouts, and have always kept "Be prepared" a little on my mind. Do I believe anything catastrophic is going to happen? Not likely. But, hey, at least I go camping with all of my gear a couple of times a year and have a blast with that, if nothing else :)

7. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I've always got a big bag of rice, and a big bag of dried beans on hand. We don't eat a lot of arroz con gondules, but when the revolution comes a couple of weeks worth of staples might just come in handy. For an investment of about 20 bucks, its not a bad idea IMO. As far as firearms are concerned, they're handy for supplementing the rice and beans, but I really hope I never need them for protection.

8. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    So when the poop hits the fan and your bandmates come knocking on your bunker door, are you going to let them in?

Phalex likes this.
  9. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Two words: tort bunker

twinjet, 96tbird, bhunt1 and 4 others like this.
  10. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

"And he told them a parable, saying: the land of a rich man brought forth plentifully, and he thought to himself, 'what shall I do, for I have nowhere to store my crops?' And he said, 'I will pull down my barns, and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods. And I will say to my soul, soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years, take your ease, eat, drink, and be merry.' But God said to him, 'Fool! This very night your soul is required of you; and the things you have prepared, whose will they be?'"

Quoted not to make a religious point, which is no more allowed on open forums than politics, but for the wisdom. Security is an illusion.

samson3382, 96tbird, s0c9 and 2 others like this.
  11. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i fear losing all of my bank accounts when Friday comes,.. EVERY FRIDAY!!!

that's all that really bothers me because i can always find something at your house to eat! :thumbsup:
    ps: now don't you go burn the WELCOME mat before i get there,.. ya hear! ;)

12. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    No.

P. Aaron and Gravedigger Dav like this.
  13. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I've got back up supplies (extra food and water) that might last a few weeks. Generator (more for power outages than long term civil unrest). Self defense.....heh....I've got that covered.

In terms of long term plans of self-sustainability....nope.

14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I have systems in place as well. If I can get to my land about 70 miles from here I'll be good to go for a few months. About 6 of us will disappear. And we will also be able to insure that anyone who wants trouble can disappear as well. ;)

Nothing huge or fancy. I have a few go boxes that include food, communication equipment, and a few other survival tools. Solar panels. More food and ammo there. Not a ton, but enough. Generator.

My parents know where code name "Bird Nest" is located. My wife could possibly find it but it would take a while. Nobody else. Democracies are nasty on a small scale. So, when the crap hits the fan it will be a small benevolent dictatorship until the dust settles.

Throughout history, there has rarely been a meltdown that didn't result in some sort of organized system being put in place within a short period of time. It may not be my favorite system, but I should be able to come out of the shadows and get to McDonald's in a few weeks to a few months at most. If not, we're all hosed anyway.

As stated above, I don't really take all this too seriously. It makes for a great camp site.

Gravedigger Dav likes this.
  15. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I stockpile bullets and whiskey.

After society collapses and we are plunged into another Dark Age, money will have no value.

So....what I can't trade for whiskey, the bullets will get me. ;)

16. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Was a Boy Scout, did the Navy Arctic Escape and Evasion school.
    Stashed:
    Cash, silver, and gold
    Fire arms and plenty of ammo.
    knifes, shovels, axe
    basic hand tools
    6 months of food - working towards 2 years
    Daily living needs (soap, toothpaste, towels, toilet paper, etc.)
    First aid and basic OTC meds
    4500 watt generator
    batteries
    wind up radio & flash light
    blankets and sleeping bags
    and I have an RV trailer and bug out bags stashed in a couple of places.
    How am I doing so far?

17. sparkyfender2

sparkyfender2

Nov 25, 2013
    We keep a couple of weeks food and water on hand at all times. Defensive weapons are given.

You never know, there is always a possibility, no matter how slight, that today could be a day when the SHTF. Terrorism, weather, disease, etc., can screw up the best laid plans of men and mice, and all that.......

Hopefully, that day will never arrive.

18. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Fully stocked bar, big bag of green, acoustic bass and guitar and enough good food for a week, and enough pillows for a real fun fight.

My door will remain open to all and it'll be a hell of a party.

If I have to hurt or kill a single person to ensure my survival, the hell with it. I'd rather die with clean hands and a still heart. I'm not that important to the world that my survival will make much of a difference anyway.

19. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Too late.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  20. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I have a house full of books. When the apocalypse comes and society goes to hell in a handbasket, I will not lack for reading material, I can tell you that.

fdeck, One Drop and knumbskull like this.