1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

continuation- organ bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Brandon Tuomiko, Mar 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandon Tuomiko

Brandon Tuomiko Banned

Oct 28, 2008
    Omaha Nebraska
    So here it is continuing our talk of the discussion of the organ from the - very old instrument found on CL- post.

If you are not up to date- We are discussing the organ. Pipe and electronic- hammond and leslie too!

Organ bass is quite impressive if you have never heard an organ. The only thing that is lower than a bass is organ bass!

2. let's move this to misc. shall we?

3. Brandon Tuomiko

Brandon Tuomiko Banned

Oct 28, 2008
    Omaha Nebraska
    sure. fine with me!

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I don't know much about pipe organs, I guess I'm about to learn some. But I think it's interesting that He Whose Name Shall Not Be Uttered (aka "Kenny Boy") often describes his favorite old orchestral basses as having "organ-like tones" in the lower register. I haven't experienced that firsthand, sure would love to.

5. Brandon Tuomiko

Brandon Tuomiko Banned

Oct 28, 2008
    Omaha Nebraska
    I guess what he means is the feeling you get when the low notes flow through you, and can churn your innards!

6. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I was doing a gig with a Hammond player a couple weeks ago and I almost reached over and chopped off his left arm with my bow. Stay outta my yard.

7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Yeah, that's it. I've heard it from out front in the audience of some of the better orchestras, just not from behind the bass. Yet.

8. Brandon Tuomiko

Brandon Tuomiko Banned

Oct 28, 2008
    Omaha Nebraska
    haha. Organs are kind of like 3 instruments in one. Bass (feet) Melody (right hand) And the accompaniment (left hand) . But thats for like theatre music. Classical, you have 3-4 different melodies going on at once!

Did you know that- if the organ was not invented- almost every single genera of music would not exist? Because of the organ, 2 line melodies were produced.

Just think. One sound- one note for an instrument? That would be boring! A piano would have 12 keys, and one finger to play!

9. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    You don't think polyphony would exist without organ?

10. Brandon Tuomiko

Brandon Tuomiko Banned

Oct 28, 2008
    Omaha Nebraska
    Polyphonic MUSIC. single lined music would exist, no cords or playing a d and a at the same time... its confusing to explain, but I read it in the Don Bedos book, so it is pretty correct and logical, as Don Bedos is one, if not the biggest, name in organ building and history.

He lived in the 1600s. Well ahead of his time. He made many discoveries for the organ. And really shaped the way we think of them and understand them.

Almost all organ builders follow the new concepts that Bedos came up with 356 years ago.

11. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    If its in print it has to be true and we all know western music tradition is the only one...

It just seems like a bold statement.

12. Ahhh..Bass Pedals :)

Here's a nice example compliments of one of my favorite artists, Steve Hackett.

Sorry folks, no DB in this one....

13. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Common mods. Can we just give Ken a 24 hr pass? I'd love to see the real and fake Ken doll here at the same time.

14. Brandon Tuomiko

Brandon Tuomiko Banned

Oct 28, 2008
    Omaha Nebraska
    Clink? what is that supposed to mean?!!? :S

What ever happened to ken anyways?

15. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    :atoz:

16. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Oh, here we go again. So, without the organ, we wouldn't have two instruments playing different single melody lines? I don't buy it. Think Dixieland. If you mean that we wouldn't otherwise have a sinle instrument playing two melody lines (double-lined music), then that's seems somewhat trivial.

17. zeytoun

zeytoun

Dec 19, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Ruh Roh, Reorge.

18. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    You haven't seen the posts wondering if you and Ken Smith are one in the same?

Ken was banned for life over a dispute with a mod. Do a search and you'll learn all about it.

19. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Drurb,
    Ken doll is referring to this:

20. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Wait-- it was I who mentioned Dixieland.

By the way, according to Grout's A History of Western Music, polyphony most likely existed before the ninth century in nonliturgical sacred music. It was documented as early as the ninth century and designated as "organum" or "singing together." So, it seems that the "organ" arose from that early polyphony.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.