1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Continue modding crappy EBS cabs or buy something better?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AlexanderB, May 2, 2010.

1. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Are you happy with the build quality of you bass gear?

This is kind of a "follow up" on this thread:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=646951&highlight=

After more thinking, listening and analysis I realize that my current EBS speakers are the main culprit.

Being a Swedish bass player I really want to support EBS and hope that they do well as a company. I have two different EBS rigs where I gradually (more or less out of necessity) have modified the speakers to make them fit my needs but I am reaching a point where I am staring to ask if my loyalty is really worth all the trouble. :meh:

For practice and quiet gigs I have a ProLine Evolution 2000 210 that I bought new. I very soon had to swap the lame Gamma 10s in it and put in Deltalite II 2510 instead. I also added an inductor to flatten the peaky high mids.
    The cabinet was leaking like a strainer in every joint so I had to apply sealing compound from the inside to fix that. It also "huffed" and "puffed" like an asthmatic hippo through the speakon and 1/4" jack on the back. Stapling a patch of leatherette from the inside to cover the connection plate fixed that issue.
    Next leakage area was the carrying handles which was cured but bringing out a second cartridge of sealing compound. ;) Wrapping it up with a new, longer bass reflex duct to get some audible lows out of the Deltalites.
    So, having spent many hours and €230 on a brand new "premium" mini cab, I have a decent speaker. The so called "two inch" Selenium tweeter still sounds harsh but is acceptable for practice. :bassist:

At this point I look at my "big" rig, EBS 311 + 15F where I already have started modifications. In the 311 I have cut a larger, offset hole to accomodate a 3015LF. (Standard speaker is Kappa C in all 15" EBS ProLines.) That swap also forced me to route the baffle to fit the "taller" basket of it and still be able to refit the standard grille. The 10" speaker was also not very good so I plan to replace it with a Deltalite II 2510. Some more routing to do, in that case.
    There was (of course...) no cross over between 15" and 10" drivers in that $1200 three way box, so that would be next to fix. The sealed chamger for the 10" should be filled with acoustic fill but was not.
    Both the 311 and 15F are also leaking like crazy through every joint, handle cutout and jack. (Turning the volume up and the tone control down, you can clearly hear air puffing through basically every panel joint in the box.)
    There is also no internal bracing in these "premium" products which I would have to add, too. Knocking the back panel on these cabs is not too far from tapping a drum head... :spit:

I think I have almost had it by now. I luckily did not pay full price for these boxes. Buy the way, they all come from different batches so it is not an isolated problem.

My preamp and pedals are still great and 100% trouble free.

Got to go - I think I hear an Ampeg dealer calling my name... :bag:

/Alexander

2. Halvorsen

Halvorsen

Mar 7, 2008
    Vermont
    Sounds like you have all the skills and half of the speakers to build a nice Fearful 15/6 already. Why don't you just cannibalize your cabinets for hardware and the 3015lf, pick up the recommended 6" mid driver, some wood, and go to work?

3. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Thanks for the reply!

Cannibalizing is not happening - these cabinets are too expensive not to use or sell. The hardware is not.

But the main issue is that we've just had our first child. With a three week old baby in the house there is not much time left to fix the existing cabs and much less to start a new project from scratch. :smug: Especially since I need one compact and two high output cabs.

/Alexander

4. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    Sell and buy a Big One from Barefaced Bass in the UK. It shouldn't cost much to ship 'cause you're in the EU together, right?

5. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Yeah, we are both in the EU. They offer reasonable shipping prices, but the overall cost is too high for me. £450 (sub) + £ 675 (main cab) + 4x£25 (shipping).
    I am not willing to pay such a price premium to get very light cabs. Weight is not really a concern to me - 70 lbs/each (or more) would have been OK.
    I must also admit that I do not at all like the way the Barefaced cabs look...

/Alexander