Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Continuing...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MasterChief, Jan 31, 2004.

1. MasterChief

MasterChief

Feb 4, 2003
    Virginia
    My favorite band is Jim's Big Ego. I highly recommend you check them out!
    http://www.bigego.com

I wish I could play like them. That would be cool to play like that, with a band. But, I would never be able to. That's what I want to do if I could play like that and I was in a band in the future.

I am horrible at writing bass lines and lyrics. I now have so much respect for all the people who who can do this (The Beatles, Choking Ahogo, Jim's Big Ego, etc. Just to name a few).

How can I be able to write music as beautiful and brilliant as Jim's Big Ego or Choking Ahogo? Not being able to write at all, kind of makes me feel like just stop playing music, and just respecting those who make it. But I've been playing since 5th grade (around five years ago) and I enjoy/love playing music. I still pretend to sing and play along with my favorite songs. Most of the time, I try to learn how to play the songs. I can't sing at all, so I don't bother trying.

Not being able to play with people who have the same goal in music, really doesn't help either. Studying music is very hard and boring work.

I'm in 9th grade. So school takes up most of my time and am not able to travel.

My goal is to write brilliant music, like Jim's Big Ego and Choking Ahogo. How can I reach this goal?

Have a great day!

3. MasterChief

MasterChief

Feb 4, 2003
    Virginia
    Can I do that? Ask for a teacher that can help me reach my goal of being able to write brilliant music like Jim's Big Ego and Choking Ahogo?

4. I meant get a bass teacher (instructor) and you will learn stuff you probably don't know and it will help you write better bass lines!

5. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    It's too bad that all you want to do is write like these two bands.

Get a theory teacher and learn the rules of music theory. Then, break them as you see fit. As for the song-writing thing, you either have it, or you don't; it can, however, be inside of you and you might be unaware of it. Theory might wake it up.

6. MasterChief

MasterChief

Feb 4, 2003
    Virginia
    Once school is out (June 11th), my mom will be signing me up for bass lessons.

I don't really want to write just like anyone. I want to write the stuff that comes from me. I'm getting really good at writing bass lines. I made a really nice Blues line that I just play for fun. I just sit down with my bass while reading stuff on the computer, watching TV, doing my homework, or whatever. It's nice to have my bass with me at all times. You never know when an idea strikes you.

I'm still not confident that my lyrics are any good. I'm not very good at putting words to things. I just feel it...

I'm thinking about keeping a journal and just writing stuff in it when ever I feel like it. Then I can go back and pull out some stuff to help me out with a song.

7. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

The lessons will open up a new world for you.

As you move from being a bassplayer to a fully realized
    musician, [ I am still working to get there ] you begin to understand that music knowledge and exploration does nothing but strengthen your skills.

Example: My good friend and TB host at NE GTG, Funkster,
    at age 40, started with a new teacher. He tells me he is really
    doing well and learning great stuff. This teacher has a great
    background, and a lot to offer. Teachers love students that
    love music and are motivated to play and learn.

Keep in mind that Funkster has been playing 20+ years, and plays
    in three different bands.

There is a lot to learn in music, it is a challenging field.
    Rise to the challenges, and learn more music!