1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Continuous Delay? (Effects Noob here)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sagaris, May 14, 2006.

1. I've heard Jaco and Michael Manring use it in these solos

Jaco
    Teen Town - Michael Manring

I imagine it's obviously some sort of delay effect, but, I've become very interested in the fact you can build up rhythms from it and play over them. Can someone tell me what they are and perhaps some good cheap-ish recommendations for some?

2. They are loopers or loop systems.

Cheap (ish) one- Digitech Jamman.

3. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    cheapest right now would be a boss rc20xl.... most music stores (like guitar center, for one) are blowing these out on the advent of the release of boss's rc50 super-duper looper machine (unofficial title). you can find one for about $250.
    if you're in the la area, come to guitar center sherman oaks and ask for dave. i'll give you a killer deal on one, and anything else you need.

4. ive got a zoom 3000B that does that. its not too expensive to get a one of those. they sound compressed and digital but if you use through an fx loop with a level control its not too bad

5. also you could check the TB for sale forum from time to time, you can find a pretty cheap looper there every once in a while...right now there is a manaco looper, which is a tad expensive, but they are definitely cool!
    but Digitech jammans, Boss RC-20, or the RC-20XL are going to be your best bet

6. You could also try one of the boss pedals with the hold function. I think the dd3 does an 8 second hold. There's also a line six dely box with a 16 second sampler and a butt load of other delay effects. I have had a lot of fun with my wasabi forward and reverse delay and just turn the rate up and the time down and you can noodle over yourself. I don't know how much you want to spend but the line 6 is cool. I heard a guitar player using one in a bar and he had 2 rythmns going and then he played lead over the top. Very cool and cheaper than a loop pedal. Hope this helps.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There is a cheap-but-awesome rackmount unit by DOD called the "Dimension 12" (D12). I see them on ebay now and again for like $50 to $75, and I actually bought mine for about $30. It holds four six-second loops or two 12-second loops, and you can stutter and reverse the loops. It also has a normal delay mode.

8. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    uhm..............

yeah. about that. that's a little twisted.

:eyebrow: