Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Continuous Wood Backplate Problem

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Zon Bass, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I am building a neckthru with a 5 piece maple/purpleheart neck and a mahogany body with walnut laminates. I am using light wave monolithic bridges/pickups, which means the electronics cavity has to extend off of the wings onto the neck and so I don't know how to do the continuous wood back plates. I was thinking that I could cut out the outlines on the wing laminates and sand them down to 1/16 of an inch thick, and use a saw of some sort to cut a similar piece out of the neck. Then I could attach the pieces to some plastic that was cut out to the same shape as the cavity, and rout it 1/8 inches deep. Does anybody have any tips, or advice? Also do you think that it is too much work with little benefit?

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    If your back wood is wide enough, you could do a full-with bookmatched back.

Glue the wings onto the neck without the back. Get the whole back of the bass flat, then rout the cavity.

Edge join (bookmatch) the backplate seperately. Cut your electronics plate from the full-width back plate and clean up the lines. Glue on the back, screw on the plate.

One thing, though. If you are going to use wood for the cover plate, you'll want to do a thicker cover than you would do with plastic. I generally do my cover plates 3/16"-1/4" thick.