Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Contour Tail 5 string bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jondog, Jan 10, 2003.

1. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
  2. This bridge, in form, is a pretty close knock-off of the ABM bridges. I've been looking closely at these as a more economical alternative to their more expensive cousins. I have 1 ABM in use now and it is a very good bridge. The main difference that I can imagine - and this is without knowing for sure - is that the Contour's chassis won't be made from aluminum like the ABM. That's understandable since the ABM's are machined rather than cast and that's a much more costly manufacturing process. The only support I can offer for this observation is the retail prices of the different pieces. ABM's are near or over $100 each while the CS part is about $35. So how would this affect playability. Not at all! The Contour would do the job of anchoring the strings and providing adjustability just like the ABM. The difference in chassis materials would mean a difference in what frequencies are accented by the bridge but it would boil down to personal preference as to which actually sounded better. And to really tell that, you'd have to compare them side by side. Not very practical. So, my overall opinion is actually very high because I'm always interested in a value. I really like the Contours and will use one eventually in some sort of creation. I take the position that a tool is a tool and if one tool does it's primary job as well as another, you then have to look at other differences for making a decision. That comes down to price and the Contours certainly win hands down on that score.

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes, the price is what interested me in the first place. I'm replacing a bentplate Fender copy bridge because it won't let me adjust low enough. The profile on the Contour seems very low, do you know of others I should check out before ordering?

4. I don't know of another bridge that has a low a profile as these (if it is a true copy of an ABM) unless the individual types are that low. Nearly any piece IMO is a step up from the bent tin variety.

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I just finished installing my new Contour bridge. My goal was to lower the action, and it's a bit lower, but not a lot. The change in sound is tough to determine because I put new strings on when I was done. It is definitely a nice piece of hardware and has more mass than my old bent plate bridge. It intonated MUCH better than my old one -- the B is now perfect!

I'm considering removing the little black metal saddles that allow you to raise and lower the string. I'm already bottomed out, so that would get me another few mm closer. I might have to file a little groove to keep the string from going side to side. I can always put the black pieces back in if this doesn't work.

Now I'm wondering if my action is too high because of the nut.

It's really not painfully high, and I do use a pick w/ this bass :-O 80% of the time so I'm not going for tapmaster heighth, but I'd just like it to be a little more comfortable to play.

I should probably look into taper or exposed core strings, but I am cheap and like to change strings frequently and the tapercores never go on sale.

6. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    In case anybody cares, I ended up shimming the neck. I was afraid to mess with it at first, but this is a cheap bass so I went for it and it worked out pretty well. My saddles aren't bottomed out anymore and the action is more comfortable.