Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

contoured body, a la Warwick...?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by xush, May 8, 2003.

1. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    So, how do you guys go about making contoured bodies? You know, the 'middle-age-spread'-friendly design...

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    belt sander and steady hands.

3. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    and a really thick body blank?

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    actually, a good sander that is easy to control can work. just draw a proper line on the back for shape, then one on the side for depth. Just work very slow.

5. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    That's how Warwick does it. CNC with a really thick body.

I had an Acacia with a contoured back and it looked like he angled the wings before gluing them. It wasn't a perfectly smooth contour.

6. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    If you mean making a bent contour, when looking from the top (e.g. the upper horn being bent towards the back=your chest), then it can be done in two ways: thick plank or bending.

If you use a thick plank and work by hand, you need a large bandsaw, good planes, rasps... commas meaning and/or. And on top of that, tonnnes of patience.

Now, bending is a totally different issue...
    It may be possible to bend the horn in one piece. Probably it won't.
    It will probably be possible to slice it into two, bend and glue it to the right bend. But it is not easy...
    It is possible to slice it into several thin layers, steam bend to avoid cracks, and glue them together in the right bend.

In the latter two instances, you need a very, very thin saw, or some veneer to fill out with.

OTOH, if you're talking sculptured faces, front or rear, it's much easier. Even if you're talking convex full front and concave full back (moon-shape, seen from the bottom).
    Rasp&file, perhaps a violin makers miniplane, and lots of patience. Done!:bassist:

7. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    All by hand with a rasp and sandpaper......

[​IMG]

8. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    that's a sweet lookin bass Mikgag......how about this!!
    does this look familiar?!!

[​IMG]

you could've sent it to me, you know

;)

9. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Is the back concave?
    I can't seem to find a pic anywhere that shows what I'm trying to describe...guess I'll have to take one of my Warwick.

thanks!

10. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    an example with this warwick streamer:

just look at the body thickness!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

after front carving:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JP

11. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    now that's a lot of wood.

thanks guys!
    I appreciate the amount of time and effort you indie fellers put into this place. Mighty decent of ya.