Contra arrived yesterday!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by justBrian, Mar 15, 2005.

1. justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    After much thought and discussion with my teacher, I purchased an older model Contra (from Danny Adair!). It arrived yesterday afternoon. The first thing I did when I got home was plug it in a play all fo my instruments through it. As advertised, this is the clearest amp I have ever played through-- no coloration at all. When I first played my URB through it, I wasn't even sure it was on or not-- it was that clear. It sounded just like my bass, only louder. So far I'm very impressed, and can hardly wait to try it out on a gig.
  2. ArenW

Jan 14, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA

I have really been considering buying an AI Contra, but have only read about them. There isnt anywhere close by to check one out that I know of (Ft. Wayne, IN). I have been using an SWR 10" combo thus far (kind of a pooch but it does the job). How does the low end hold up at higher (fusion/rock) volumes?
  3. justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I haven't tried it out like that yet, but I assume I'll be fine in my 4 piece combo. I also play in a 13 piece big band-- I think it'll be plenty loud enough for that. My teacher said that he has never had to turn his up 1/2 way for any gig he's played.
  4. Mike Goodbar

Mike Goodbar Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    I've used mine in conjunction with a Hartke 2 x 10 for a rock gig or two with bass guitar, and it gets the job done. Plenty of low end and a nice warm tone. Mind you, it won't sound like a GK or SWR, but its not meant to. Alone, without an extension cab, I don't think it would handle the volume requirements for a rock or fusion gig without PA support.
  5. Jonas J

Jonas J

Jul 2, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    Very much depending on the room size, I've used mine in both rehersal and at gigs (with a quartet and big band), turned up from 1/2 to full power, with good results. I wouldn't expect it to do the same competing with other amplified instruments in a more rock-oriented setting.

Sometimes I feel it's not as loud as I would wish for. Perhaps those are "ext-cab-moments"?
  6. justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I can't say enough about this little amp. I took it to school yesterday and let the jazz band use it at rehearsal. It's a good sized band-- 5 saxes, 4 bones, 6 trumpets, bass, drums, keys and guitar. At little more than 1/2 volume, set flat, the contra held its own. The amazing thing to me was that I could feel the bass much more than with my 1x12 cab-- and I could feel it from pretty far away. It sounds much louder farther away than it does when standing right next to it-- or even in front of it. The instructor loved it-- asked if I wanted to donate it to the program. ;)