Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Contra arrived yesterday!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by justBrian, Mar 15, 2005.

1. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    After much thought and discussion with my teacher, I purchased an older model Contra (from Danny Adair!). It arrived yesterday afternoon. The first thing I did when I got home was plug it in a play all fo my instruments through it. As advertised, this is the clearest amp I have ever played through-- no coloration at all. When I first played my URB through it, I wasn't even sure it was on or not-- it was that clear. It sounded just like my bass, only louder. So far I'm very impressed, and can hardly wait to try it out on a gig.

2. ArenW

ArenW

Jan 14, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Congrats.

I have really been considering buying an AI Contra, but have only read about them. There isnt anywhere close by to check one out that I know of (Ft. Wayne, IN). I have been using an SWR 10" combo thus far (kind of a pooch but it does the job). How does the low end hold up at higher (fusion/rock) volumes?

3. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I haven't tried it out like that yet, but I assume I'll be fine in my 4 piece combo. I also play in a 13 piece big band-- I think it'll be plenty loud enough for that. My teacher said that he has never had to turn his up 1/2 way for any gig he's played.

4. I've used mine in conjunction with a Hartke 2 x 10 for a rock gig or two with bass guitar, and it gets the job done. Plenty of low end and a nice warm tone. Mind you, it won't sound like a GK or SWR, but its not meant to. Alone, without an extension cab, I don't think it would handle the volume requirements for a rock or fusion gig without PA support.

5. Jonas J

Jonas J

Jul 2, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    Very much depending on the room size, I've used mine in both rehersal and at gigs (with a quartet and big band), turned up from 1/2 to full power, with good results. I wouldn't expect it to do the same competing with other amplified instruments in a more rock-oriented setting.

Sometimes I feel it's not as loud as I would wish for. Perhaps those are "ext-cab-moments"?

6. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I can't say enough about this little amp. I took it to school yesterday and let the jazz band use it at rehearsal. It's a good sized band-- 5 saxes, 4 bones, 6 trumpets, bass, drums, keys and guitar. At little more than 1/2 volume, set flat, the contra held its own. The amazing thing to me was that I could feel the bass much more than with my 1x12 cab-- and I could feel it from pretty far away. It sounds much louder farther away than it does when standing right next to it-- or even in front of it. The instructor loved it-- asked if I wanted to donate it to the program. ;)