Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Contra replacement speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Marcus Johnson, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Sorry if this has been covered before; I have a Series I Contra that's in need of a replacement speaker. Before I order a new one from AI, I wonder if anyone here has any opinions on other options? Any firsthand knowledge would be appreciated.

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Given that it is for an infinite baffle cabinet, I'd replace it with the AI speaker. I don't think you are going to find much in the way of suitable speakers designed for a small volume sealed cabinet like the Contra.

3. Lemon

Lemon

May 9, 2005
    is it a soft rubber or a hard like folded paper surround ?

if it is a soft one there are some options but keep in mind it will be
    to some degree different. also you would have to get the Thiele & small Paremeters of the driver.
    wich are

FS =
    Re =
    Vas =
    LE =
    Qts =
    Qes =
    Qms =
    Sd =
    SPL 1W/1m =
    Xmax in mm=
    you need to know also
    is it a Bassreflex or closed
    and the Volume of the cavity in Liters.
    then I can tell you what will work.

if the original driver doesent cost a fortune it is probably less of a drag then finding something fitting.

I build speakers for 25 years and if you know where and what its easy otherwise ......
    Good luck
    :D

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    The surround is the soft rubber type. I'll probably just contact AI for a direct replacement. No rush, it only gets occasional use.

Thanks, guys.

5. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    You could probably just send your amp to AI, couldn't you? I've never had to have repairs done on mine, so I don't know for sure.

6. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Replacing the speakers in AI gear is not difficult, and it's even easier in the newest equipment. No need to return the whole box. Acoustic Image will take good care of you.

It's been really great because even the amp guts are modular, basically three sections that plug into each other. Had one failure with an amp I sold to a customer in Poland, and AI sent him a new board for a quick fix. FYI, their warranty is five years.

7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Yeah, it looks like a simple fix. Shipping the whole amp from Maui is probably not the way to go. I'll just order the replacement, and have my tech guy fix it when I get back from NY in July.

I've been enjoying the old Contra again of late. They really are great little amps.

8. mister_k

mister_k

Jul 27, 2004
    Los Angeles
    i played through one of those guys at my luthier's yesterday (where i was picking up MY NEW BASS---insert gloaty face here) and i developed some serious G.A.S. on the spot.

Marcus, when are you in NY precisely? I'll be flitting around there myself at the end of July.

now back to my new baby....
    K.

9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Earlier, I'll be back on Maui mid-month. It'll be mostly upstate anyway, wedding/inlaw BS. Of course, I'll make an escape attempt at some point.

K...you must be loving life right about now. Play 'til you bleed.

10. mister_k

mister_k

Jul 27, 2004
    Los Angeles
    i gigged with her last night, the whole band was floored by the difference (both in the sound and my playing.) i feel like i just graduated from high school or something.

okay, okay back to the topic........

11. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Just as a matter of curiosity...has anyone tried the AI New Yorker? I see a lot of Contras, Codas, etc, but not much on the little guy.

12. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Just as an update...I finally got around to asking AI about the replacement woofer for my Series 1 Contra, via Email. They emailed me back within a couple of hours and asked for my address so that they could send a replacement. Four days later, FedEx showed up at my door with the new speaker; no charge, not even shipping to Maui. Now that is what I call customer service.