1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Contrabass tuning (sort of)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Wespe, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Wespe

Wespe

Feb 21, 2006
    I have a Dean Sledge Hammer 4 bass that I'd like to convert to a lower tuning, and what I was thinking was to have the strings tuned essentially "two strings" lower than a standard tuned bass guitar, in that it would be tuned F# B E A instead of E A D G.

What kind of strings should I get to accomplish this and where can I get them, and also what adjustments need to be made to accomodate the heavier strings?

These are fairly broad questions, so thanks in advance to anybody who can help.

2. an amp/cab to handle that low B and F is gonna be a big part of making that sound good...

you'll probably want to get custom strings, and others are more qualified to talk about that than I am.

3. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Your most immediate solution would be to acquire a SIT .195, .135, .100 and .080 - the .195, .135 and .100 are available through Conklin's web site as part of the Jauqo III X set, and the .080 can be got through JustStrings.com

Look for Power Steels when you get the single string