1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Contrasting body woods

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by BryanM, Mar 17, 2008.

1. BryanM

BryanM

Dec 15, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I was wondering if anyone's done a build where they have contrasting body woods that are visible from the top in any pattern besides just straight across, something crazy like a maple/walnut swirl or wave pattern, or something like that. I realize this would be incredibly difficult and time consuming since it would most likely have to be done with some sort of jigsaw or scroll saw, and then detailed by hand to ensure a perfect fit. I'll post a photoshopped pic of the idea when I'm on my computer at home to clarify a little bit more.

2. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    sure - look at some of Bud LeCompte's work and notice how his pickguards are really just a wooden inlay

just one example of many

[​IMG]

all the best,

R

3. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    It's funny, I started reading the OP and the first thing that popped into my head was Bud's work too, and that bass in particular. It's my favorite example of his work that I've seen.

4. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    I like contrasting woods, but wanted to come up with a way of introducing contrast and more woods into my designs that was different than the typical Alembic multi-lam, layering look.

While I've never seen anyone do an inlayed, faux pickguard before I did it, my inspiration came from Bill Conklin. He's done a lot of melts and swirly things with contrasting woods. I took it in a slighty different direction. I wanted to make the contrast look like it was an integral part of the bass rather than a design on the top.

5. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - Perú
    What about this?

[​IMG]

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Look up Conklin.