Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Contrebasse Solitaire

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by olivier, Aug 16, 2005.

1. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    It's the tittle of a thesis by Anne Salliot and available on the net. OK, it's in French, but the Annexes are of special interest: a list of pieces for solo db and a compedium of unusual notations for db which are pretty well documented...

here is the link:http://www.metronimo.com/fr/contrebasse/

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Allo Olivier!
    Merci beaucoup pour le lien!

Is there a PDF version of the thesis or something?

3. For those non-French speakers among us, I took the liberty of using free Web-based translation software to interpret the opening paragraph:

As early as the sixteenth century, two families of instruments to rubbed ropes mix with: the one of the violins and the one of the violate. This parallel existence nourishes an ambiguity as for the origin of the current double bass. For certain musicologists, the current double bass is affiliated with the double bass of violates. Alone would have changed the number of ropes, the form of the heard, the resonance cash register. Dolmetsh in concludes that the "sonorité more vigorous but more impure and more vulgar of the double bass" 1 originates of this metamorphosis of the original instrument.

Fascinating.

4. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    I don't know. Would be neat.

5. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Anne Salliot writes pretty well. An automatic translation is just as bad as a midi rendition of a tune... no soul, no sense.

6. I just did it for a giggle, SIR LAWRENCE. I'm sure that Mlle Salliot is a fine writer.

7. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    How ? ;) (just giggling)

As I said, the meaty part of the stuff is on pages 48, 49, 50, & 51.