Control Cavity Shielding - G&L L2K

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by woodsideh, Mar 8, 2010.

1. woodsideh

woodsideh

Feb 19, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I am getting the very common hum when I switch to series. Everything that I have found here and on GbL says the problem is because the control cavity is not shielded. Is this something that I can do, if so how do I do it? Do I just need to take it to a guitar guru? I haven't noticed the issue that much until I changed the battery before the last gig. I hum was real noticable and I had to switch it to parallel between songs.

2. woodsideh

woodsideh

Feb 19, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Where are the G&L guys? This thing is driving me nuts.

3. It sounds quite odd to have problems with hum that only occur in series mode.

Are you sure it isn't a single coil mode rather than series?

4. woodsideh

woodsideh

Feb 19, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    The center toggle switch is switched forward toward the neck. Shouldn't this be series?

5. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah, toward the neck should be series on a US L2K...

I've never gotten hum from that position on either of my L2Ks or my L2.5K... Is there not shielding paint in the control cavity?

Some guys pull the guts out and add copper foil inside the cavities which could help, but you could have something else going on here with the pups or the circuit.

You should really go ask the folks in the G&L forum at badassbassplayers.com where most of the G&L heads hang out.

Cheers,
    Chris

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021