1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

control cavity

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by sixstringbass, Jan 28, 2006.

  1. how do i drill a hole from the pickup cavity into the control cavity? i just cant figure it out
  2. teej


    Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    12" long drill bit with a 1/4" diameter. There's a special name given to this bits, but I can't think of it. Something like marine bits or shipbuilders bits or something like that.

    What you do is you drill at a very shallow angle.
  3. pilotjones

    pilotjones Supporting Member

    Nov 8, 2001
    I know them as gun drills.

    As you angle the bit from the pup cavity to the control cavity, I'd put a few layers of masking tape on the top at the far (bass-side) edge of the pup route, so that you don't mess the top if you slip.
  4. popinfresh


    Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    My mate drills a hole from lead jack to pup cavity via control cavity. Gets it all in one.
  5. klocwerk


    May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    ha, that's brilliant!
  6. JSPguitars


    Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    If that's brilliant then maybe I have a chance ...

  7. Trevorus


    Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    It's called an aircraft bit. It's a long bit.