Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Control Knobs for Aguilar OBP-3 ??? where can I find knobs?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Groove Tools, Jan 14, 2004.

1. I'm getting the Aguilar OBP-3 onboard preamp. I have a Conklin GT7 that has 4 pots Volume,bass,treble,balance (Correct me If I'm wrong)so the 3 way eq im buying has an extra pot the "Mid" so I'll need a concentric pot with a stacked knob. I suppose aguilar preamps do not come with knobs. so where can I get a concentric pot and a stacked knob like a good looking pot.

My bass is the red one and it has black hardware so what would look better black knobs? tell me your suggestions please. and also how much do you think the preamp + concentric pot + 3 normal knobs + stacked knob be? and do I need a switch?

thanks a lot for the patience.

2. You can get the OBP-3 in a four knob setup, usually Volume, blend, mid, bass/treble. I know warmoth makes knobs to fit the odd size concentric shafts of the aguilar bass and treble pots. Cost wise the pre is 129 usually, but I saw it coming pre wired and with knobs somewhere for like 155 starting price.

3. Also is it difficult to install it?? should I pay someone with experience do it?

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    bestbassgear.com will wire it up to your exact specs, you can then do the rest yourself if you're ok with a soldering iron or take it to your local guy to finish the job.

5. K thanks for the info. anyone one else know if it comes with a switch of anykind???

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    it comes in kit form i.e. they supply the pots for bass/mid/treble control, and two switches incase you want to have active/passive and mid freq select. But you don't need to use the switches.

They sell two versions of the obp-3, one with separate pots for bass/mid/treble and the other comes with one regular pot and one concentric pot.

7. Chaputa

Chaputa Bass-Not just fo eatin anymore

The pre comes with nothing. You should use the vol an/or blend knobs that are for the pickups, but you'll need the mid, bass and treble knobs. You also can use a switch. I've installed 2 OBP-3's and I've used a mid knob, and a concentric treble/bass knob. I also had to drill out for the switch on the one. Now you don't need the switch for the mid freq select, but its nice to have.

...and if anyone can find a pot that they use for the mid blend, let me know, because I'd love to have one!

...and as DavidMWilson said... www.bestbassgear.com Brian is awesome and really knows his stuff when it comes to wiring these bad boys up!

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i also wonder this, where do you find those knobs? my knobs look like arse on my Jazz. the holes are too big for the shafts ( :D - easy guys!)

9. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    One thing to note about the OBP-3... the pot shaft size used to be somewhat "non-standard", making it difficult to find knobs that will fit on them (you couldn't just get a bunch of knobs from WD Music and expect that they'd fit, for example).

They now come with more "standard-sized" pot shafts... email David Avenius at Aguilar, he'll know how to determine whether the shafts are the "standard" or "non-standard" ones... and if they're non-standard, they'll probably either send you out a set of bushings to make them "standard" or a whole new set of pots.

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    are you serious? i just bought a pot from them in the middle of last year, were they already using the standard size then? nothing fits that concentric pot.

:( ;)

11. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    hmm...does anyone know what the diameter of the pot shaft on the current obp-3? Is it 6mm?

12. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    I just put an OBP-1 in my thumb bass, and had to use a concentric pot.
    These pres use 25k pots,(at least the obp1 does) and it was a pain finding a stacked 25k pot. Lucky for you, I've already been through all that, so I can tell you exactly what you need. You need an EMG stacked 25k audio taper pot. I got mine from guitarpartsdepot.com. You will need to have moderatley good soldering skills, and be able to follow a semi-simple wiring diagram. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, take it to your tech.

13. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    I had the same problem a while back and had to find the right stacked knob by trial and error (mostly error). Finally somebody, maybe Tony at Planet Bass, told me that an EMG stacked/concentric knob should fit the OBP-3 pot fine and it did. Can't remember exactly where I got the knob set but after coming to the end of my rope, these worked perfectly and seemed fairly common after all. Just do a Google search for an EMG or EMG style stacked/concentric knob set in black and it should be the right bore and everything. I think they're flat topped. They are definitely available in black, though, because that's the set I bought. The other pots didn't present much of a problem if I remember correctly, so the regular knobs weren't as difficult to track down. But that stacked knob set? Man, that was like trying to hunt down the holy grail. I know just how you feel. And as far as your other question goes, I thought that my OBP-3 set did come with a mini toggle but I'm not certain of that. I did have a mini toggle installed, and I don't think I paid extra for it or had to find that separately. Hope this helps.

bassmastamal likes this.
  14. Copycat

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Oops. 6 Stringer offered much the same info just before I did. Didn't see that response before I posted mine.

15. Tony

Tony

Feb 16, 2004
    Southern California
    6-stringer, I just put an OBP-3 in a Smith I had (3-4 weeks ago, purchased from GGuitars), and the schematic that came with the pre said to use 50k linear pots for the tone controls, and 500k's for the volume.

Take care,

Tony

16. Chaputa

Chaputa Bass-Not just fo eatin anymore

Been a few months since I installed my OBP-3, but If I remember correctly, the Volume and/or Blend pots that you use should be designed to work with your pickups, not the OBP. Its only the tone controls that are specific. On Aguilar's site, the OBP-1 needs 25K pots. The obp-3 needs 50K linear. (I'm assuming the obp-1 needs linear as well).

What pots you use are dependant on which aggie pre and what pickups you have wired up...

17. Copycat

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    I definitely received the concentric pot with the OBP-3 kit. Maybe it's different depending on which configuration you order, but since mine required a stacked knob, the pot was sent for that. I know you can order one of two different configs on this pre, depending on how many knobs you have/want. Mine was a bass with a single Bart MM pup, and I had two knobs originally, had to have another hole drilled out, and wound up with two regular knobs and the stacked knob.

18. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I'm won't be getting stacked knobs. I just heard from Brian at bestbassgear and he said that the regular knobs I have (6mm hole) will fit the pot shafts.

19. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
  20. Tony

Tony

Feb 16, 2004
    Southern California
    Thanks for the correction Chaputa, and you're right, the volumes are pup specific. I was just thinking back to what I used and typed everything I installed ...

Take care,
    Tony