Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Control Knobs not fitting?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mark Wilson, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Hey.

I just bought new EMG-P pickups, and the pots have split shaft. and the knobs I have (I have 3 different kinds) ALL don't fit on the shaft. Do I need to use ALOT of force? I was told to make the pin line up to the split in the shaft, and It still didn't fit.

Any suggestions?

-Mark

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Wrong size knobs? There are two different sizes - go to Stewart-McDonald or Warmouth and see the options.

3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I know this is an old thread, but I was searching for a thread relating to a problem I had last night and this one popped up.

So, basically, here's my warning to anyone with the same problem as described in the original post (had this problem myself last night):

DO NOT try to force knobs onto pots by pushing too hard! You may do as I did last night and push the pots out of their bracket, possibly damaging the pots themselves. I have to fix my pots tonight as a result of my stupidity, so PLEASE learn from said stupidity.

If they don't fit, measure the pots and find knobs that will fit. Forcing is not worth it.