1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Control Layout Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by q1014, Sep 23, 2008.

1. q1014

q1014

Aug 17, 2007
    Ok so im buliding/putting together a bass and i had a question on my control layout.

So im getting dimarzio dp123 pickups and i want to wire it two stacked pots V/T neck V/T bridge and two switches one for each pickup that changes them from series to parallel. Is this possible and does it seem reasonable.

2. q1014

q1014

Aug 17, 2007
    is there anyone who could throw a little bit of feedback on this idea

3. q1014

q1014

Aug 17, 2007
    close it up

4. msiner

msiner

Sep 2, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    I believe it is possible, but you might not be able to find an existing wiring diagram for it. That would mean devising and testing your own design. Since there are no controls shared (assuming you are not using a blend control) between the two(i.e. master tone) the good thing is, you could probably just look for or come up with a diagram for a single pickup, and then it is a pretty simple job to connect the two. Looking at how to do this for one pickups it would hit the switch first. There should be tons of DPDT series/parallel switching diagrams to follow, check with DiMarzio. Then it would go to the stack with only two leads, which should be simple enough to find a diagram for. After that, I think you can just join each pickup's controls at the jack. I'm no expert, but it should be possible (if any experts have corrections, please let me know). You might also look for old stacked knob Jazz bass wiring diagrams and then shoehorn a couple of switches in. Good luck.

5. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    I believe you will need to find a stacked pot that is a 500K/250k combo first, unless you happen to like the roll off of 250k tone pot. I'll try to track down a diagram, unless someone beats me to it.