Control mod for a JB-2?

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by BKing, Jan 24, 2009.

1. BKing

BKing

Aug 13, 2006
    Hillsborough, NC
    Please forgive my ignorance when it comes to electronics - this may be a really dumb question!:meh: I would imagine its possible to modify a JB-2 so that controls are master vol, blend, tone. Can this be done? If so, has anyone done this and how do you do it!?! Thanks!!

Ben

2. I think this'll do it. Parts available from the usual places. Get them with 1/4" shafts and use your current knobs.

Click the image for a larger PDF.

Substitute wire colors as necessary, probably my red for your white. This does not require any additional holes, so it's completely reversible to stock configuration. Do note that the addition of the blend pot will affect the tone a little bit. You can replace everything or use your existing tone pot and one volume pot, replacing the other volume pot with a blend pot.

Sorry, but no blow-by-blow instructions for this one. The wiring diagram should get it done. If you're uncomfortable working under the hood with a soldering iron, you might consider taking your bass to a good tech.

[​IMG]

Or if my hosting is slow (wouldn't surprise me):

http://www.bassesbyleo.com/images/g&l_tech/jb_circuit_with_blend.jpg

http://www.bassesbyleo.com/images/g&l_tech/jb_circuit_with_blend.pdf

Ken...

3. eadg57

eadg57

Sep 7, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I had this control modification done on my JB-2 and am very pleased with the results. I had the tech put in a blend pot with a center indent. I cannot hear any difference in the overall tone; I had to do some punches after the mod and had a chance to hear the bass soloed A/B in the studio. No one was the wiser, though I freely admit that other sets of ears may have other impressions.

(When I had the V/B/T mod done I also had the cavity shielded with copper foil, the pickups shielded with copper over Teflon, and all the grounds soldered to the foil.)

4. BKing

BKing

Aug 13, 2006
    Hillsborough, NC
    Thanks a bunch for the replies. Ken, I knew you'd chime in when it came to a question about a G&L mod!:D Thanks so much for the diagram - that should do the trick!

Ben

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021