Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Control setup for 10 Year Attitude X model?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Kahuna, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Hey all,

I just scored a purple metalflake Yamaha Attitude X 10 year anniversary model (#139 out of 300...), and am trying to figure out the controls on this thing.... danged Yamaha site doesn't have any info (curses!).

Of the three controls, two of them are push button on/off switches, but no matter what I do I cannot seem to get the two outputs to work seperately.

Either their is something funky inside of it (one of the pots was REALLY loose and I tightened it up already), or I'm just dumber than a bag of hammers. :confused:

So, before I open it up and look at the wiring, anyone know? It is different from the Attitude I's, as they had a switch to go between mono and stereo outputs.

It just arrived yesterday while I was at a gig, and I'm playing again tonight and would like to put it through it's paces, so a prompt reply would be appreciated! If you know you can even call me on my cell phone at:

765-586-7095

Thanks!

2. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
  3. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Well, right after I posted this I just went out and opened it up to check how it was wired.... and sure enough someone had been in there goofing with it (the loose pot was my first clue) and had hard wired the two outputs so it was always in mono mode

Once I had it open all I had to do was remove the mono hardwire jumper they had put in place and all works fine after that.

However, I decided I didn't like the factory wiring setup. The two push on/push off switches just seemed to be way to easy to switch on and off and I could see myself hitting one or both of them during a moment of spastic stage antics all the time, so I rewired it the same way all of my other basses are wired (neck pickup volume (to tone control on it, just volume), bridge pickup volume and then bridge pickup tone. I put new regular old 500K pots in it do accomplish this so I have the original factory wiring if I ever need it for anything.

Thanks for the link too. I just checked their site in the support area for downloads hoping to find an owners manual or something similar but it wasn't there.

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Wait a tick, the big thing by the neck that looks like the pickguard is a pickup?

5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Yup, it's a DiMarzio Model One "woofer" pickup that's covered by pickguard material on the Attitudes.

6. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I used to own #184 out of 300....also the purple finish.

Great bass, if a little neck heavy.......got rid of it though, as it wasn't playing sounding a whole lot different to others in my collection.....plus, I don't play like Billy Sheehan......mostly being a pick user!

Enjoy the bass!:bassist: