1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Controlling the power between 2 cabs.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by solarpanelasses, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Quick question,

I play through a SVT1000, ampeg 810E, and I recently picked up an old seymour duncan 8x5 bass cab to play all the high end on my effects. The problem is I think I may be running too much power to the 8x5, but the 8x10 can handle it no problem. Is there something i can use to control how much power is goin to the 8x5? I heard about something called a hotplate? Is this what I would need? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. I couldn't tell for sure if you're trying to run both of those cabs together from your amp, but if you are, please keep in mind that your amp has a minimum load of 4 ohms. The 810E is a 4 ohm cab. Adding another cab (4 or 8 ohms) would drop the load to an unsafe value, potentially damaging the head.

"How do I use it?
    The THD Hot Plate® is designed for use strictly with vacuum tube guitar amplifiers, and each version is optimized for a specific impedance (2, 2.7, 4, 8, or 16 ohms.)"

Not sure how that would effect your non-tube amp?

If you're trying to run the smaller cab alone, I guess you'd just turn down the output, unless you're trying to keep some sort of overdriven tone that might lead you to considering the hotplate.

You could also consider some sort of smaller, external amp that you could connect to your lineout and small cab. This would give you control over the output to that cab without affecting the wattage to the 810..
    Just some things to consider...

Mag...

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

I see a bigger issue.
    The 810E is a 4 ohm cab , which is also the minimal load or your SVT1000.
    If you plug an additional cab to your head, you're going to fry it.

This may actually be a part of the answer. You could get a power amp for your 8x5 and feed it from the line output of your Ampeg, which would let you control the amount of signal you send to the cab.