controlling volume in bridged mono

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jonasp, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Hey TB. I've been thinking of bridging my amp to get a little more juice going into my speakers. However, I run an Avatar 210 and 115 and like a little more volume with my 10's. Is there anyway to put more volume into my 10's in bridged mono since you only have 1 channel running? My power amp has channel controls for each channel, as I have been running the amp in stereo.

TIA, Pete
  2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    nope. and technically when you are bridging your amp you are using both amplifier channels together. typically the attenuator for channel 2 will not do anything in bridge mode because both amps are being controlled by one attenuator. the solution would be to keep running the amp in stereo.
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    you could try cranking the tweeters on the 2x10, and turning off the tweeters on the 1x15.
  4. Don't think so. That's the inherent problem with running dissimilar cabs from a mono source. One cab is usually going to dominate the other.
  5. Both channels are running in bridge mode, "ganged" together to form 1 "logical" amp channel.

No "good" way to alter the relative balance between the cabs. If they're both 8 ohms, they get the same power. If they're similarly efficient cabs, they produce about the same volume. If one cab is way more efficient, it will be louder.

If you're varying the volume to one speaker a lot currently, you're probably running your "fav" cab a lot hotter, and it will start clipping and whatnot much sooner than the other cab.

I'd run both cabs equally, adjust the amp EQ to get back to the sound you get with the "fav" cab hotter. Or sell the cab you don't like, get a 2nd of the one you do.

6. That's what I thought. I guess the only thing i could really do is adjust the heck out of my preamp and try to get the tone i'm looking for. thanks!