Controlling volume on your rig- Help?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by djshawn47, Jan 20, 2004.

1. What the best(safest) way to handle the volume on a rig. Should the power amp be turned up all the way and then control the volume on the pre-amp? what about with Active electronics? Should i turn the volume up all the way on the bass, and use the preamp to control the volume? when you have an active bass, a preamp and a power amp, whats the best way to control volume?
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I use the level controls on the power amp mostly...they have detents so I fine tune with the output level of the preamp.

It's a rare occassion when the volume on the bass is anywhere but all the way up.

I would think for the best signal to noise ratio, the method I follow is the most common. In addition, if there was ever a problem with the cable connecting preamp to power amp, the power amp is set at a lower level so any noise transients don't blow my speaker cones through the grilles...
  3. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I always try to get the pre-amp to the perfect tone and then I don't touch it. For me, that's getting the pre-amp to the highest output volume without any clipping. Just right before where that red light starts flashing.

Then I control my overall volume with my power amp.
  4. Bass volume all the way up. Preamp gain to taste (just before clipping for most, just at clipping for me to get some overdrive when I dig in). Preamp master set as hot as possible without clipping the poweramp in. Control actual volume with the poweramp.
  5. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    I run the power amp full. Correct me if Im wrong (cos Im not 100% on this), and I dont know how to best explain this, but a 1000 watt @ 4ohm amp will still put out a 1000 watts @ 4ohms even when you turn it down. The controll knob just sets the level of the signal coming in to the power amp and runs it @ a 1000 watts. On average, I run the bass @ 80% full (18v obp), the preamp input just before clipping and controll the volume with the preamp gain (out). For reference my rig is: modulus---> eden preamp---> qsc plx power---> bergantino cabs.
  6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    inazone...up until clipping, a power amp's output power is proportional to the input signal's voltage.

In other words, it puts out a few watts when you're playing really quiet and may produce up to full power when you crank it up (assuming that your preamp has enough gain to drive it to full power).