1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Controls behave oddly on G&L Tribute L-2500

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PlatoFunFactory, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Hey, all. I'm hoping I can get a little help with a new-to-me G&L Tribute L-2500 I picked up off Craigslist Wednesday.

Assuming the controls match the ones described on the wiring controls diagram here, then when I switch to the bridge pickup (top switch back position), the treble (middle) control knob functions as a volume control, with the bass producing no sound at all with the knob rolled all the way off. It does this whether it's in active, passive, or active with treble boost mode.

Is this normal behavior for this bass? A known mod? Or is something just wonky?

2. Sounds like wrong wiring.

3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    Sounds likes some wires have gotten crossed (somehow contacting where they shouldn't).
    I can't help you per sé, but I would suggest posting a snapshot of what the wiring looks like.

Also, if you're competent at tracing a wiring diagram, here's the L-2000 diagram (same as L-2500):

l2000_wiring_diagram_1998.
    G&L Wiring Diagrams and Schematics

add: IMHO, you should ask a mod to move this to the Electronics & Pickups sub-forum, where I believe you would get the help you need more quickly.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    PlatoFunFactory likes this.
  4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah pics of the control cavity are in order here.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  5. Thanks, all for the help. I'm going to try to trace the wiring diagram but it is quite a nest in there!

Here are some pics of the control cavity for what they're worth. Sorry for my stubby fingers in the way.
    [​IMG]
    EyxoctB.
    66GJGOO.
    CfJFlVU.
    T8yQy16.

*Edited to fix image links.

6. It sounds like your tone capacitor has either shorted, or become leaky. When this happens, the tone control becomes a volume pot.

PlatoFunFactory likes this.
  7. Thank you! Is there a way to test if that has happened with a multimeter? I'm guessing if it has shorted it will read 0 resistance, but that's just a guess and I'm pretty much lost as to testing for leakiness.

Also, here's one more photo that might help. If I'm reading the schematic above right, there should be a black lead from the bridge pickup attached to the post indicated in this photo, but there's nothing there.
    qGCpuC2.

8. The capacitor should read somewhere in the ballpark of 47nF. Apparently you have a film capacitor, however, and those rarely fail. The more likely problem is a short somewhere in the control cavity.