1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Controls Bypass Switch?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by teej, Feb 29, 2008.

1. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Would this work -- wiring a switch that toggles between sending the pickup signal through the controls and then the jack, or sending the signal straight to the jack?

It sounds rather straightforward, I know, but my concern was with the "direct output" mode. Would the signal reach the jack, and then go through the controls, in the opposite direction?

2. You can do it with just a simple DPDT switch. I'm assuming you don't have active electronics.

Attached Files:

3. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    It's a standard P-bass, by the way.

Hmmm... your diagram is different than mine. The way I had it, the two pickup leads went to the middle poles, with the controls connected to one set of the outer poles and the jack to the other.

Where does the other pickup lead go, in your diagram?

4. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I think it's assumed the other lead goes to ground.

5. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    So the hot wire (white) from the pups goes to the switch, and the ground (black) goes to the back of one of the pots?

6. mjolnir

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I would assume so, though I've never done a full bypass of all the controls before, so I can't say for sure.

You could also wire it to the jack itself if you want.

7. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Gotcha.

And I'm assuming that the "to controls" wire goes to the bottom leg of the first pot (referring to Fender's diagram). OK, so what about the "from controls" wire?

8. mjolnir

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Ah.

He's talking about the output from the pots, the one that would normally be soldered to the hot lead on the input jack.

9. Yes, "to controls" would go to the volume pot. The output of the tone pot goes to "from controls," so that you get true bypass of the controls at the flick of a switch. The way you had it originally wouldn't completely work, I don't think, because the tone is still in the circuit, meaning that would still work, and the volume would probably also still be in.

Other pickup wire goes to ground.

10. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I know that. I like having options, though, that I can switch on-the-fly, ya know?

So........ :meh:

11. Actually, I made a goof. It should be like this:

Attached Files:

12. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    THANKS, GUYS!!! I got it working, though now that I play around with the switch, I can't imagine why anyone would really need it. Before I started, I didn't think there would be a noticeable difference between the two settings (through the controls and direct out), and that theory has been confirmed.

Oh well, it was a fun little evening experiment, and now I've got a magical switch that melts faces and shoots laser beams from my cabs when I flip it. :smug:

13. mjolnir

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    The good ol' producer switch, eh?... :D

14. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Is that what it's called? I'm thinking about rewiring it so that it somehow toggles between tone cap and overdrive circuit (like Black Ice).