controls on 1980 Ibanez Muscian MC940

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Howard K, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    I bought the above bass on Monday and for the life of me I can work out what all the controls do!

I know volume and the 3 band active EQ. I believe there's a blend and passivs tone pots - please confirm?, and there's also two toggel switches which I'm not sure about.

I only ask as the differences it makes to the sound are very muddy, so I'm having difficulty figuring it out!

Anyone here know for sure what the controls do?
    Ta
    H

2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I don't know for sure, because the controls varied a little over the years. My Musician (if I remember right) had 3 knobs for the EQ, a volume, pickup blend, and passive tone contol, and a switch to turn the active EQ on and off.

But I believe some earlier ones had two volumes instead of a volume and pickup blend, and also added a bigger toggle switch to select between the pickups. That would make the bottom 3 knobs the EQ, the top three knobs volume, volume and tone, and a big toggle switch for pickup selection with a smaller one for activating the EQ.

Mike

3. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Thanks, that's pretty muc what i thought - with the single volume, passive tone and blaned. but mine has a p/up selector toggle switch and a blend?! The mind boggles!

4. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Could be a pickup selector as well as a blend. I'm not positive mine didn't have a pickup selector switch (it's been about 16 years since I had it). The pickup selector switches are big toggle things, like on a Les Paul guitar, so they're pretty easy to identify, though.

Mike

5. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    yep that's the one!

i've yet to really pay about with it in a search for differnet sounds... and i'm taking her to rehearsal on saturday.. might very well be disastrous!

6. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I didn't have mine all that long, and quickly butchered it by having the frets pulled out by a semi-competent repairman, so I'm afraid I can't give you any tips on getting the best sounds out of it. Good luck!

Mike