Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

controls on 1980 Ibanez Muscian MC940

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Howard K, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    I bought the above bass on Monday and for the life of me I can work out what all the controls do!

I know volume and the 3 band active EQ. I believe there's a blend and passivs tone pots - please confirm?, and there's also two toggel switches which I'm not sure about.

I only ask as the differences it makes to the sound are very muddy, so I'm having difficulty figuring it out!

Anyone here know for sure what the controls do?
    Ta
    H

2. I don't know for sure, because the controls varied a little over the years. My Musician (if I remember right) had 3 knobs for the EQ, a volume, pickup blend, and passive tone contol, and a switch to turn the active EQ on and off.

But I believe some earlier ones had two volumes instead of a volume and pickup blend, and also added a bigger toggle switch to select between the pickups. That would make the bottom 3 knobs the EQ, the top three knobs volume, volume and tone, and a big toggle switch for pickup selection with a smaller one for activating the EQ.

Mike

3. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Thanks, that's pretty muc what i thought - with the single volume, passive tone and blaned. but mine has a p/up selector toggle switch and a blend?! The mind boggles!

4. Could be a pickup selector as well as a blend. I'm not positive mine didn't have a pickup selector switch (it's been about 16 years since I had it). The pickup selector switches are big toggle things, like on a Les Paul guitar, so they're pretty easy to identify, though.

Mike

5. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    yep that's the one!

i've yet to really pay about with it in a search for differnet sounds... and i'm taking her to rehearsal on saturday.. might very well be disastrous!

6. I didn't have mine all that long, and quickly butchered it by having the frets pulled out by a semi-competent repairman, so I'm afraid I can't give you any tips on getting the best sounds out of it. Good luck!

Mike