Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

controls on jazz bass special?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Phat Ham, May 21, 2003.

1. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    My friend just got a Fender JBS off of ebay and we can't figure out what all the knobs and switches do. Here's the bass:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2529054787&category=33039

The knob closest to the neck is a master volume, and the bigger switch on the bottom is a 3 position pickup selector. The other smaller switch is a 3 position switch, but I can't figure out exactly what it does. The knob on the bottom has a center detent, and the other doesn't. The two knobs seem like they might be treble and bass boost/cut, but depending on the position of the smaller 3 position switch the effect they have is different. Anyone know what the controls do?

2. I have no help for you, just wanted to say that my first bass was a JBS that I bought for $100 in a local shop. It's such a mutant now, I've re-finished, re-wired and replaced the pick-ups. I'm about the slap a fretless neck on it just for the halibut.

3. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Just a shot in the dark, but maybe the toggle is a series/parallel/boost like in a G&L? As for the knobs, I don't see what the knob without the detent could be, considering you already have a pickup selector. It would make sense for them to be treble and bass controls, but wouldn't they both have detents? Strange...:confused:

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Supposedly you can download a PDF owners manual for a Jazz Bass Special at Mr. Gearhead, but I haven't been able to download any of the manuals that I have been interested in having.

5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    i checked out mr. gearhead and found the manual for the p and j basses of '87. It turns out the controls on this bass (which is a "power" jbs) is master vol, tone, freq sweep, 3 way pickup selector switch, and 3 way circuit select switch. The circuit select switch has passive, bass boost, and mid boost settings.