controls on jazz bass special?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Phat Ham, May 21, 2003.

1. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    My friend just got a Fender JBS off of ebay and we can't figure out what all the knobs and switches do. Here's the bass:

The knob closest to the neck is a master volume, and the bigger switch on the bottom is a 3 position pickup selector. The other smaller switch is a 3 position switch, but I can't figure out exactly what it does. The knob on the bottom has a center detent, and the other doesn't. The two knobs seem like they might be treble and bass boost/cut, but depending on the position of the smaller 3 position switch the effect they have is different. Anyone know what the controls do?
  2. I have no help for you, just wanted to say that my first bass was a JBS that I bought for $100 in a local shop. It's such a mutant now, I've re-finished, re-wired and replaced the pick-ups. I'm about the slap a fretless neck on it just for the halibut.
  3. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Just a shot in the dark, but maybe the toggle is a series/parallel/boost like in a G&L? As for the knobs, I don't see what the knob without the detent could be, considering you already have a pickup selector. It would make sense for them to be treble and bass controls, but wouldn't they both have detents? Strange...:confused:
  4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Supposedly you can download a PDF owners manual for a Jazz Bass Special at Mr. Gearhead, but I haven't been able to download any of the manuals that I have been interested in having.
  5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    i checked out mr. gearhead and found the manual for the p and j basses of '87. It turns out the controls on this bass (which is a "power" jbs) is master vol, tone, freq sweep, 3 way pickup selector switch, and 3 way circuit select switch. The circuit select switch has passive, bass boost, and mid boost settings.