1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Convection cooled (fanless) power amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ostinato, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    The only one that comes to mind are the discontinued Crown K series...are there any others? I play some smaller three piece gigs once in a while and it would be nice to have one rig that can cover this nice and quietly

I need about 500 watts a side at 4 ohms

:help:

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Just a thought, I wonder if an alternative is an amp with a multi-speed fan. For instance, my GK head has a 2-speed fan, and for virtually all playing, it runs at the low speed and is silent.

3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Stewart World 250/600/1.2 are all fanless, convection cooled power amps that take up only 1 rack space.

4. jazzy grille

jazzy grille - Arrogant Bastard

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    This.

5. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    I gotta do some searches on these Stewart amps, but to get to the point: do they bring on the beef?

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You'll want to read the entire "QSC PLX versus Crest CA9" thread for an exploration of whether switching-supply amps bring the beef any differently than traditional big-iron amps.

7. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I certainly was not disappointed with the two World 1.2 amps that I had in the past. :)

BTW, I had a World 250 that was fine, also; the guitarist in the band is using it with his POD as his guitar amp now.

8. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    Look for a bridgeable studio monitor power amp.
    Most are actually reasonably priced.

I would seriously recommend this one, I know several guys using this one....

Alesis RA 500

[​IMG]

For the cheapskates, there is of course a Behringer clone available...

However, if only the best is good enough, this one just kills anything else in terms of quality and sound...

Glockenklang Bugatti

[​IMG]

But I guess, for your application, the Alesis is probably the sensible choice ... :)